• Register Today It's free!

1994 4.0 explorer ecu tune

ninefourexploder

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and I need some help looking for a good tune for my 4.0. I’m trying to get some easy horsepower out of my 94 explorer. I already have a bigger throttle body and cold air intake. Anyone know a good place where I can get a tune to get some hidden horsepower?
Thanks, Chase

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and I need some help looking for a good tune for my 4.0. I’m trying to get some easy horsepower out of my 94 explorer. I already have a bigger throttle body and cold air intake. Anyone know a good place where I can get a tune to get some hidden horsepower?
Thanks, Chase
Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot of "hidden horsepower" out of the 4.0 ohv. Most builds to net 180 hp at the tire is doing things such as camshaft rocker arms etc, and even then a tune isn't needed. The problem is that the EEC 4 system is so old and basic that tuning or changing the ecu Is nearly impossible, assuming you can find someone who wants to try. For your mods the ECU is not going to have issues calibrating itself for the changes in terms of AFR. If it is brining in more air then the computer is going to give it more fuel up to a point. I don't think a bigger throttle body or cai is going to give a MAF or any other AFR sensor a reading outside of it's spectrum to correct. The ECU essentially has a bunch of set programmed readings set by ford and a range in which they are allowed to read without throwing CEL or giving the ECU any issues. Your most likely not going to be introducing enough air to change any readings to that point. Most people with a comp cam don't get tunes. If you really want to get it tuned there is a company that makes flashed ecus, have no idea how hard it is to reach them somebody would have to link it. You can give the jet chip a shot, but I have heard conflicting results. If you have a manual go with a mega squirt, and essentially create your own ecu. Otherwise your fine. In terms of easy HP? Electric fans can help, been looking into it myself. Regearing to 3.73 or 4.10 is a good way as well. Otherwise your gonna dump 4k for 200 hp. Might as well swap in a 5.0

as stated above, a custom tune isnt worth it on the ohv. i had one done on a dyno, got me 13 hp and cost me 500 dollars. left the dyno shop with 100.7 hp and 140 ft/tq. LOL

Back