Engine Swap Ideas (Fun Thread) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Swap Ideas (Fun Thread)

For what your wanting....351W, built C-4, or mustang 5sp, both would hold up to the TQ and HP, 205 or atlas T-case, HP44&9" or bigger(60's F/R) running gear. For what your wanting to be done "on the cheap" won't happen. HP, TQ, MPH, cost cash, plain and simple. Unique is something else all together..................

P.S. I DO NOT CONDONE STREET RACING IN ANY FORM!!!!!!.If you want to race, take it to the track!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a C-6 behind the 302 in my Ranger right now. AA adapter to Dana 20 T-case(800.00 cost), but it works. If the C-6 will bolt to a 351W it will bolt to the 302(must be 31 spline output for the adapter though= donor must be 4x4).....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

at one point I Built a 2.3 turbo for the explorer. rebuilt the shortblock, rebuilt head, bobs ranger log header, IHI turbo (wanted to keep the small turbo for fast spool) eec tuner so I could tune it, 88 tc harness, clutch pedals to put in, ranger motor mounts, intercooler, electric fans, all I needed was a tranny and driveshaft. was going to make it 4x2 till I could afford a devorced t-case and sas but decided that I needed to finish other projects first.

BLOODBANE, i think you should reread the 1st post. He said mild occasional offroading, so a D44/9" or D60s and an atlas are not really things to consider. And as for the street racing, well, he said he was joking.

at one point I Built a 2.3 turbo for the explorer. rebuilt the shortblock, rebuilt head, bobs ranger log header, IHI turbo (wanted to keep the small turbo for fast spool) eec tuner so I could tune it, 88 tc harness, clutch pedals to put in, ranger motor mounts, intercooler, electric fans, all I needed was a tranny and driveshaft. was going to make it 4x2 till I could afford a devorced t-case and sas but decided that I needed to finish other projects first.

Good story.

and i still have a fire breathing Dart 347 for sale.......

If I was to do this again, since I'm also into unique swaps, I'd possibly do a 4.2 V6 and 4x4 drivetrain out of a '97 up F150. The best bet obviously would be to have a complete donor vehicle for the swap. Insert laugh here...I also have a Freestar with the similar 4.2 (FWD version 200 HP), and it really has inpressive torque.
This COULD be a fairly inexpensive swap as long as the donor was bought at the right price.
The other good thing about this scenario is that the engine is physically not large and is much shorter than the V8's so rad clearance would not be an issue.
The key to an inexpensive swap is finding as many parts possible from ONE vehicle. You would not believe how fast you can spend money looking for a thousand separate parts for this....trust me, I went this route...never again!
I have an awsome setup, but it has cost me plenty to date to get it all right.

Back