1994 70K Miles, but need to fix

Donavan1951

Reaction score
City, State
Hemet, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer 4x4
Hi all,
Just bought a 1994 Explorer 4x4, with only 70,000 original miles. However, it seems like the stuff that is wrong with it might indicate that the sell shaved off 100,000.

I have some problems, such as the CEL come on and stays on, about 5 seconds after is goes out.

Second thing is the blower doesn't always turn on. The Fuel gauge is always on E.

Besides that, everything else seems OK.

It didn't have an owners guide, so I'm looking online for all the info I can. Help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!
Most likely it's 170,000, but that's okay for a 20 year old truck.
The glovebox owner's guide wouldn't have helped you in any of your problems you list. I suggest you do a search here for each separate issue.
I'm moving your thread to the 1st Gen section.

If you have the odometer that shows 6 digits, and it says 70,000, it could be true. Maybe. Odd things happen. But, for 70,000 to be true, I bet it sat for a bit at some point. Sitting too long can cause more problems than regular driving in some ways.

The ugly truth.

I found a sticker on the windshield that was from Jeffy Lube and it showed this vehicle license plate and milage in 2009 was 196,000. That means that my Ford has 270,000 on it. OMG.:eek:

I feel that this guy which claims to have had it for two years and only put 14k on it was unaware that the original miles were so high. I let him know that it is not normal to have to replace the radiator, alternator and fuel pump at 55K.

That being said, I paid in cash and own a 1994 Ford Explorer 4x4 with 270K and now I start looking for the normal stuff that breaks at this time in its life.

If average yearly mileage is 12,000 (I've seen it listed as higher), then 20 years X 12,000 is 240,000, so you're slightly above the conservative number.
My 93 Ranger has ~340,000. These vehicles last. :)

It didn't have an owners guide, so I'm looking online for all the info I can. Help would be appreciated.

See my signature for a 1991 Owner's Guide. Not much would have changed. I'd recommend you get the Chilton repair manual but use it as a guide, don't take it as 100% truth. Then if you get into serious stuff, get yourself a Ford Factory Service Manual Shop Supplement Manual (something along those lines).

Don't worry about your mileage. A lot of Explorers have 200,000+. I've seen several people mention 400-500,000 on theirs and still going. They started this series of engine in 1962 and being cast iron blocks, they're super durable. Sure, there's parts that fail but you have that in any vehicle. Replace a few things and have confidence in it, it's not a Hyundai :)

My fuel gauge hasn't worked in years. I think the problem is that the float leaks and quits floating. I reset the trip meter every time that I fill up and go to the gas station every 250 miles or so. There's a lot of good info in the stickies. I'd change all the fluids and filters, check the brakes and change the plugs.

Ok, I'm not even knowledgable enough to know how big the tank is. And to add insult to injury, took the SUV to the car wash and discovered that the windshield leaks above the rear view mirror.

I know I shouldn't have asked out load, what next. That equivalent to poking the dog of disaster.

... discovered that the windshield leaks above the rear view mirror. ...
Fairly easy to fix with liquid ("flowing", "self-leveling") silicone hermetic.

Fairly easy to fix with liquid ("flowing", "self-leveling") silicone hermetic.

Tell me more about this. Mine leaks by the pilars and occasionally from up behind the rear view mirror. Window was replaced by the previous owner and the shop that did it must not have sealed it right as it's leaking again. Mine's also cracked but I'd rather not fork over the $250 right now when there's other issues that need attention.

Tell me more about this. Mine leaks by the pilars and occasionally from up behind the rear view mirror.
So did mine. I used "flowable" (not "flowing", sorry :)) silicone, AFAIR, this one.

First pass - I opened (slightly) the upper edge of windshield rubber seal (using teaspoon handle, yep :salute:) and filled it with the silicone. Second pass - not touching the rubber seal, I "flowed" another layer of silicone on top of the upper edge of windshield rubber seal.

Work steady and slowly, be patient, do not harry - my first attempt failed because I was not patient and systematic enough. After the silicone cured, check for leaks with garden hose.

That's about all I remember - that was about 10 years ago. Good thing that it does not leak since then. :D

Back