1994 Explorer XLT AC leak... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

screagan21

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Hey all! I'm new here. Finally became a member because I've got a question. I've got a 1994 Explorer XLT. It had been sitting in a garage for a number of years before I bought it. That was last October. Since I live in Idaho the AC hadn't really been too much of a concern. Now I'm down in Arizona for a bit so I wanted to try and get it working. I charged it up while I jumped the low pressure switch and got the compressor clutch running well and the AC started blowing nice cold air. It lasted for about one trip to the store and then it was warm again and the clutch wouldn't engage... Turns out I have a bad leak, but I can't tell where it's coming from.

There is AC oil on the seam of the evaporator core and it formed drips on the bottom of it, but I've heard that an evaporator leak is fairly rare so I'm not sure what to do. Any thoughts? Could it be just that those bolts on the side of the evaporator are loose and need tightening?? These pics were taken after some of the oil dried.

mG5DAa

m63N3v

Buy a cheap sniffer, it will save you hours of time and guesswork.

...or a bottle of refrigerant with UV dye in it and have a poke around with a black light. It's really obvious if you have the black light but, even if you don't, any leak should be reasonably conspicuous.

Back