1994 Ford Explorer won't start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Ford Explorer won't start.

Corb_08

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
i have a 1994 Ford Explorer i bought it a few weeks ago i starts up most of the time with no problem when its started it runs great but out of no where i will just not start its random and i have to wait anywhere from 10 min to a day until it will start again i took it to a mechanic and it started every time for him he put it on a machine and it found nothing wrong with it he looked at it and found nothing wrong with it i don't know what to do i seems to not start when i need to go somewhere.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it try to turn over?

As stated, turn the key to the ON position, and you should hear the fuel pump run for a second or two. If you don't check/replace the fuel pump relay located in the power distribution box under the hood.

i checked the fuel pump and had a mechanic check it it is working

Some of the guys here can correct me if I'm wrong, but what they are trying to say is that the ECM fuse for fuel relay probably needs replacing. I've had this problem where the check engine light does not come on, and I don't hear the fuel pump engage. Pop the hood, open the fuse box, and wiggle the ECM for the fuel or pull it out and put it back in, and with the key in the on position, I hear the fuel pump engage, and then the truck starts.

the other thing is check the wiring going to the fuelk pump the way they run them it possible for them to short. if it does short then it will be spordiac like you are mentioning.

i checked the fuel pump and had a mechanic check it it is working
Yes, but did it start every time for him? One of the real headaches in diagnosing intermittents like this is that the problem/symptom has to occur while the technician is doing the diagnosis. If the problem/symptom doesn't occur while the mechanic has the truck (Murphy's Law), then the mechanic isn't going to be able to diagnose it.

Did your mechanic pull codes? I had a similar problem, that finally occurred when I was in a position to diagnose it, and it turned out to be a loose connection between the fuel pump fuse and the fuel pump relay. Occasionally, before I figure it out, I would get a CM 542/543 out of the computer. Basically, the computer was seeing the loose connection before the problem got so bad that I could see it. If nobody's pulled codes, yet, I'd do that and see if there are any clues in the computer.

As suggested, you might go through the fuel pump and EEC power circuits and see if there are any obvious loose connections. Maybe wiggle connectors and see if you can make it stall. Several years ago, my Explorer would "randomly" stall while off-roading. Eventually, after some frustration, we figured out that, when my wife got nervous or "excessively" bounced around, she would press her foot into the floorboard near the inertia switch (she didn't know it was there). That pressure was causing the connection to the fuel pump to temporarily break there. With a little luck, a wigle test like this might allow you to locate where a critical circuit is losing continuity.

Beyond that, my best advice is to be patient and keep at it. Intermittents like this can be the most frustrating to diagnose, and sometimes require patience.

Ok here is the update the mechanic hooked it up to a machine and it told him it was the ignition switch or the crank shaft position sensor i had him replace the ignition switch it was the cheapest. i didn't help then i had him replace the crank shaft position sensor still didn't help it has the mechanic puzzled and its its making me mad too if anyone has any ideas of what it could be please let me know.

So has the mechanic confirmed that the problem is definitely spark related and not fuel related? Do you now have a constant no start situation?

what do you mean a constant no start situation

Your earlier posts indicated that sometimes it would start and sometimes it wouldn't. Is that still the case, or will it not start at all now? Back to some basic questions... do you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key to the ON position? When cranking are you getting spark to the plugs? Will the engine fire temporarily if you squirt ether into the intake while cranking the motor? Answers to these questions will help narrow down the possibilites.

Ok yes it is still the problem with it not starting sometimes and when it is cranking i am not getting a spark from the spark plugs. and the mechanic ruled out the fuel pump. and i will have to wait to see if the engine will fire temporarily if I squirt ether into the intake while cranking the motor.

If you are not getting spark, then it shouldn't start on ether, but it's worth a try.

i have not tried the ether yet, but do you have any ideas of what the problem might be

check your coil pack. if its going it may be your problem. somtimes when there going the wiil work intermitantly. if you can get it to run again try firmly tapping the coil pack with the butt end of a screw driver. move up and down the coil pack tapping it and listen to the motor if it stall or sputters this is your problem.:salute:

1991 explorer starting trouble

I have a similar problem... i think. I have a 1991 XLT that unfortunatley has sat around for a while, since I have been going to sea.
Anyway, the beast will start if I hit it with a blast of ether, and will run just fine. I have replaced the plugs and wires with no improvement. i tried the coil pack tapping and it had no effect

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it was sitting a while. I have added some gas a couple of times probably a total of 8 gallons or som, plus some HEET for possible moisture. should I drain and refill. The gas gauge is broken so I have no idea how much is in the tank.
Thanks

Back