How to: - 1994 Head gasket replacement / engine pull | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 1994 Head gasket replacement / engine pull

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Rereading your posts a bit more: are you referring to milling the spring seats? Also, he recommends his HD springs with his kit too. Are you concerned with spring pressure with those springs or stock ones?

Ok. That's good to hear - 422/1.8:1 kit: Doesn't the 422 cam use dbl springs, and are these questionable also? Hmm....most generic info uses chevy sb as example given how much aftermarket rocker sets are out there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rereading your posts a bit more: are you referring to milling the spring seats? Also, he recommends his HD springs with his kit too. Are you concerned with spring pressure with those springs or stock ones?

Ok. That's good to hear - 422/1.8:1 kit: Doesn't the 422 cam use dbl springs, and are these questionable also? Hmm....most generic info uses chevy sb as example given how much aftermarket rocker sets are out there.
You cant use stock ones if you have a cam..yes any cam uses 988 dual springs,idk what Tom uses but yes the issues is with milling the spring seats past the recommended install height of 1.6 they need to be installed at around 1.7 this changes the spring pressure,he says it will be fine

Way off topic so message me or post in my thread so we dont junk this one up..

Oh yeah, stock section too! Sorry Arco.

Brush hone and diesel fuel for flush/lube?

Actually just watched Freiburger and Dulcich do that on an old Ford V8 last night. I haven't found any brush hones locally, so I was going to use a 3-stone hone. Hadn't decided on lubricant yet.

ARCO, is this from cylinder 4? If so should be an easy fix. You've done a great job here. And I very much agree with FR and JD.

Cylinder 6 actually. I believe the cylinder still looked fine. It was #2 that had a vertical scratch, but I'm thinking that one should clean up. I seem to recall the mechanic saying #6 was a little low on compression about 8 years ago... haha.

Oh yeah, stock section too! Sorry Arco.

No problem, I'm learning from your conversation and someday might need to know that stuff :D

Freiburger installed the wrong clutch! Bag-o-bolts...!! :) :)

Did you see that hammered front cam bearing! and yep they ran that junk.

Did you see that hammered front cam bearing! and yep they ran that junk.

I cringed. I hope they fixed that. I don't think I could have driven it like that.

I cringed. I hope they fixed that. I don't think I could have driven it like that.

NOT! They didn't do the clutch till three months later.

That cam bearing is there to stay..:eek:

The point of the exercise was to do a shade tree rebuild in 2 days...FAIL.....true to form for Roadkill, that's the fun of it!

Hey, when your all done we all volunteer to delete all our posts to clean up the thread. :)

Except the ones that make good sense. yes?

NOT! They didn't do the clutch till three months later.

That cam bearing is there to stay..:eek:

I was hoping that when they did the clutch they did the cam bearing. Did they even replace the valvetrain?

I enjoyed the episode but it's not enough to make me want to subscribe to MOD. As long as Roadkill and Mighty Car Mods are free, that's all I need. :D

Okay...

I am financially able to start buying rebuild parts.

List with part numbers/ location purchased etc please. I think this is a relevant item to be placed in this thread.

I want to do a 422 cam so that automatically gets 988-12 valve springs and smith brothers pushrods 5.550 <--? (clarification needed)

Cam and valve springs can be bought at summit racing. I have a set of brand new heads to install the springs in.

I am mostly looking for part numbers and such for the lower end.

I need to do seals and oil pan gasket, but since I have to pull the motor to do those things I want to overhaul the motor as well.

My list will include:

M328 hv oil pump
felpro gaskets
new balancer and flywheel
timing set
cam/ springs/ push rods

Mr Cribb, I'll try get that information for you. I am in the middle of a volunteer event that's taking about 14 hours a day. Sunday I should be able to get you the info.

In no particular order, here is what I can find that I've purchased for the project so far. I have a few extra gaskets left over.

Engine Stuff:
Melling M328 oil pump - Amazon
6x Speed Pro SLP-H570P piston set - Summit
12x Melling MR-927 Rocker Arm - Amazon
Dayco PB1103N Harmonic Balancer - RockAuto
Ford E7RY-6A340-B bolt for balancer - Amazon
Victor Reinz 72115 Oil Filter Adapter O-Ring - RockAuto
Fel-Pro 72884 Oil Filter Adapater Gasket - RockAuto
Fel-Pro BS40647 Crankshaft Seal - RockAuto
Cloyes 94172S Timing Set (chain, gears, tensioner, guide) - RockAuto
Mahle/Clevite MS2006A Crankshaft Main Bearing Set - RockAuto
6x Mahle/Clevite CB723P Connecting Rod Bearing - RockAuto
Sealed Power E613K Piston Ring Set - RockAuto
Fel-Pro TCS45291 Timing Cover Gasket Set - RockAuto
Fel-Pro VS50368C Valve Cover Gasket Set - RockAuto
Motorcraft RT1161 Thermostat - RockAuto
Morana 10.9 Re-usable Head Bolt Set - Tom Morana Racing http://www.moranav6racing.com/
2x Victor Reinz GS33221 Cylinder Head Bolt (not used, cheaper TTY set, 1x per head req'd) - RockAuto
Fel-Pro 544SD Left Cylinder Head Gasket - RockAuto
Fel-Pro 545SD Right Cylinder Head Gasket - RockAuto
Fel-Pro MS98005T Intake Manifold Gasket - RockAuto
Fel-Pro OS34309R Oil Pan Gasket - RockAuto
Westar EM2641 Motor Mount - RockAuto
Westar EM2643 Motor Mount - RockAuto
Fel-Pro MS94764 Exhaust Manifold Gasket - RockAuto
Fel-Pro 35474 Water Pump Gasket (extra) - RockAuto

Trans stuff:
3x ATP FO101 Servo Seal - RockAuto
2x SuperSize Performance Servo for A4LD - PATC (transmissioncenter.net)
Sonnax 56000-CS6 Crankshaft Spacer - PATC (transmissioncenter.net)
Wix 58841 A4LD Transmission Filter 4WD - RockAuto

At Number4's request, detail of the bolt that goes into the rear of the cylinder head and attaches the ground strap which goes to the wiper motor.

I'm not sure what the size is. A M7x1.0 nut fits fine, though a touch loosely on the threads. Threads outside to outside are 9.75mm, threaded length is 13.5mm.

Attachments

• WP_20160320_16_05_54_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160320_16_05_54_Pro.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 209
  • WP_20160320_16_06_18_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160320_16_06_18_Pro.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 204

At Number4's request, detail of the bolt that goes into the rear of the cylinder head and attaches the ground strap which goes to the wiper motor.

I'm not sure what the size is. A M7x1.0 nut fits fine, though a touch loosely on the threads. Threads outside to outside are 9.75mm, threaded length is 13.5mm.

Should be same as header bolts or bolt that holds the coil bracket or dipstick

Edit
8mmx1.25 is headers..m10x1.5 is the coil bolt and dipstick bolt (also should be the ground strap)

Life got crazy so I haven't been feeling up to working on the truck. Sick today too but finally felt well enough to get into the garage.

Finished disassembling the injectors. Old O-rings and pintle caps were heat baked and hard from 21 years of age. A new set is getting installed after they soak in Berryman's B12 Chemtool Fuel System Cleaner for a day or two. Pulled the filter out of each by clamping a screw into a vise grips, threading it into the filter's ring and pulling them out.

Note to those following - do not use Berryman's Chem-Dip as it can eat plastic. Most fuel injector cleaner products should be fine.

Injectors are getting all new filters, seals and caps. I believe the set is just a standard Ford EV1 style purchased for Mustang injectors. They'll need some new paint as well I think.

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 215
  • PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 205
  • PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 217

I hate to make a negative post in this great thread but if it was me, I wouldn't soak them. They're an electrical item with a coil. It would be like soaking your starter. The coil may fare perfectly fine but then again it may weaken a coil that's seen millions of heat cycles.

What's the brand/part number on the injector kits?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back