1995 Explorer Limited Console Disassembly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Explorer Limited Console Disassembly

exploreCO

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer Sport
(First post, please be kind!)
Hi, I just purchased a nice '95 Explorer Limited that had been stored in a barn for the last 4 years, but started and run every month for maintenance. That was good! Now for your chuckle and "I am so glad that is not me" moment of the day!

UNFORTUNATELY, mice decided the fancy interior was a GREAT all-season home, and occupied the various heater/ac vents... must have thought it was like one of those hamster Habitrail environments! I removed the heater blower and cleaned out the mass of collected nesting material-- none of which appears to be made by Fomoco -- the upholstery and padding seems undamaged by rodents.

THE PROBLEM: Getting access to the rear heater/ac blower and passageway contained in the Console. The console is attached (with invisible connectors) to the heater plenum at the dash, then I assume air (and/or mice) runs underneath, between the front seats, to the back blower vents. I turned on the rear blower and EEEWW-- fuzz, dust, and smell! YECCH!

I am mechanically capable, but unsure where to start disassembling as much of the console as necessary to clean out the passageway and make the vehicle odor-free and sanitary for human use. From past 1st gen Explorer experience, I know that near-20-year-old plastic likes to break when pressured, so it would be great to have some clues about how to go about disassembling and/or removing the console for cleaning.

Any ideas where I can find an exploded view diagram, any suggestions if you have encountered this kind of problem?

Thanks for any help (or sympathy) you might offer!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here you go, this will help get you started

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209770

And I feel your pain. Kinda. Look what they did to my brand new box of peanut butter cookies!

025.jpg

Wow, just the answer needed

Turdle,
Thanks for the quick reply. It looks like an easy-if-you-know-how job to pull the console.

This forum has helped lots of times in the past!

Best,
Al

OH-- and, I feel for your cookie loss!!

Not to highjack the thread, but do you have any experience wiring up/installing a large console in a truck that didn't have one stock?

are you talking about a message center into a truck that didnt have one from factory? if so here

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80670&highlight=message+center

if you want a pdf of it, pm me your email addy, i should still have it. other then that, all you have to do is get a console and floor bracket from a donor truck

Back