1995 Ford Exp loud grinding noise while driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Ford Exp loud grinding noise while driving

Carolyn L Johnson

Reaction score
City, State
longmont, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 ford explorer 4wd
Hi. . I have a 95 explorer. It makes a progressively louder low grinding noise while driving straight, especially while coasting right above 30mph and 55. Also when slowing down. Sounds like really loud tire noise. Done the tire route. Got new struts, both front wheel bearing, upper and lower control arms. Nothing. Apparently the front diff is ok. Won't make the noise up on a rack. My mechanic is at a loss. Do I take it to Ford for diagnosis or does anyone here know? We're pulling out hair out as I've done most of the things I've seen suggested in some threads. Any help appreciated. I'm not sure I'm posting inn the right place.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You said the front diff was ok, but what about the rear diff? They can howl. When is the last time the rear diff oil was changed?

I assume your mechanic has checked your u-joints? I'd remove the front drive shaft and take it for a ride to see if the noise goes away.

The rear diff was replaced several months ago which allowed me to heat the noise in the front. I'll check on the u joint. Thanks for responding

The rear diff was replaced several months ago which allowed me to heat the noise in the front. I'll check on the u joint. Thanks for responding

I don't know if the '95 uses a CV joint on the transfer case side, as the later models do (I assume it does) removing the front drive shaft will also allow for inspection if it. Just something else to eliminate from the possibilities, though bad CV joints will typically click rather than grind.

It sounds like you've done most of what it typically is with growling/bearing noises.

Be sure to replace all bearings, CV joints, the u-joints too, and the fluids in the diff's are properly filled. When was the transfer case fluid changed last? I'd do that also after the noise started, that can't be changed too often. If that had a CV joint in the front drive shaft, that is the most likely cause of those noises at this age. Tires eventually get worn unevenly and the CV joint is the weakest link in those trucks.

Front drive shaft has a double cardan at the transfer case end ( with a kneapco center joint and 2 u joints) and one u joint at the differential end. The rear drive shaft has 2 u joints. Your symptoms do indeed sound u joint related. Honestly, I would start with the rear joints as they are the ones which have most wear and stress on them.

Thanks every one! I have given my mechanic a link to this thread. He's gonna check things out. I'll keep ya posted.

Back