• Register Today It's free!

1995 Ford Explorer Tranny Problem

TNRocker86

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN/Southaven, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT 4x4
I have 1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 4.0... I rebuilt the tranny in it about a month ago now, and took it trail riding 2 or 3 days ago now. Well this trail consisted of mud too so yea. Anyways about an hour or two of riding I leave the trail. I get on solid ground put the truck in 2wd and try and go and it was acting like the tranny was trying to lock up, and my check engine light came on and all of a sudden truck kept trying to die like it was breathing water. After about 5 minutes of driving on the street the check engine light went off and my truck slowly started running better. Now it's running fine, but when I'm driving it's like my transmission don't have an over drive. It goes to shift up, but instead, it just revs up and downshifts itself. So I shift it out of OD and put it in 2nd and my truck will drive fine just don't have overdrive. It's an auto... If anyone might have some advice as what might be going on or what I should do. The truck takes off fine now and everything, but just downshifts itself instead of going into overdrive, and so I have to shift it to 2nd to keep it driving normal without o.d. Also for future reference is there a way to test the cooler to see if it's cooling my tranny fluid properly??? Thanks in advance!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might have a code stored since the check engine light turned on. Find out what the code is. It's possible that moisture got into the main connector or some of the mud caused a bad connection.

Well

Well thanks... However the light didn't stay on but a few seconds it happened twice. Then when I got it back to the house I unplugged the battery for 5 minutes and reset the codes, and the check engine light hasn't come on since. Yesterday I unplugged all the sensors to the transmission to kinda let the connectors dry but they weren't wet either. Still hasn't fixed the prob, but when I drove down the interstate for awhile and got off then my o.d. light would start flashing but it would only happen after I got off the interstate... Now the o.d. light doesn't even cut on and flash anymore like theres a prob but I just don't have any o.d. gear, so have to keep it in 2nd so it won't downshift on me. Hopefully this might give a little better idea. Thanks again!

lol

I haven't since that one time, and now I'm not getting any codes as far as check engine light or flashing o.d. light anymore... The truck is running good and driving good now, but somehow o.d. is lost. I think there was a prob with o.d. when it worked because the flashing o.d. light... but since it completely stopped shifting in O.D and started trying to downshift instead the O.D. light doesn't cut on and start flashing anymore....

But yea I'm not getting any codes anymore, atleast haven't since this happened.

I just tried adjusting the bands and that didn't help either... I'm thinking POSSIBLY the shift solenoid? but I mean the o.d. kept flickering and since I no longer have o.d. the light doesn't flicker or nothing so thinking it is something inside the tranny but hoping not... Don't really see how because the tranny has 800 miles on it now since I rebuilt it, and didn't get stuck or really have to give the truck any gas while it was in 4wd in the mud, pretty much just cruised itself... Also NOW the tranny is making a whining sound when it starts to take off but once it gets about 10-15mph the tranny stops whining....If I have to take it out again, then just want to swap out the V6 motor too. Will the v8 hook right up to the tranny? Or will I have to swap out the tranny for one that will work with the v8? I just don't want to lose my 4x4. Please let me know.. Thanks soooo much.

Wow

I didn't think about all that... Prob be best just to keep the V6 for now then. just got going on close to 300,000 miles on it lol, and the motor feels like it's finally weakening. However, but if I did put the V8 in it, I could still keep 4x4 just have to swap out tranny, driveshaft, wiring harness, and few other things? Correct?

I didn't think about all that... Prob be best just to keep the V6 for now then. just got going on close to 300,000 miles on it lol, and the motor feels like it's finally weakening. However, but if I did put the V8 in it, I could still keep 4x4 just have to swap out tranny, driveshaft, wiring harness, and few other things? Correct?

plus swap out the transfer case, either the AWD BW4404 or manual shift BW4406 from a F-150. its a huge project, best to just buy a v8 explorer.....

How did you reset codes...just disconnecting battery ?

Yea

Everytime I have a code that comes up, and I just want the annoying light to go off, I'll just disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes.... However if it's a constant problem then, the code will `come back within a few minutes of driving or it will immediately come back after you start the truck.
Still having transmission problems if there is anyone who is really familiar with the explorer transmissions for a 95 4X4

I also have a 95 ford explorer, 4X4, xlt. ive had some similar issues with the transmission, and ive replaced one transmission, and rebuilt the new one about 4 weeks ago. about 4 weeks ago I used the four wheel, low, becasue i was climbing a hill in snow, and after useing the 4 wheel, i took the time to back up and make sure the transfer case came unlocked( i replaced the shift motor 1 year ago, and i am planning on fixing the hubs becasue they are not locking correctly). i drove for about 1 mile, lost over drive, and then while preparing to shift into 2nd, i lost everything except 1st gear and park, no reverse. When i took it to a trans shop, i was informed that while useing 4 wheel, the transfer case had not shifted correctly, and while driving with it, it chewed up certain gears. mine was more severe than yours i think, but if your planning on keeping the vehicle, getting the trans checked may be in your best interest before it gets worse, useing 4 wheel will most likly make it worse too.

Back