1996 5.0 swap wiring help | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 5.0 swap wiring help

Using FORScan and a laptop and dongle you can clear the PATS keys in the computer and add new ones.
? Thats interesting . Ive never heard of that. Im going to look into that for sure. Thanks for the insight đź‘Ť i appreciate it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It’s all here on the site. Search around and there’s an in-depth thread. The dongle is fairly cheap. FORScan also allows more in depth trouble shooting than a cheap scanner and allows minor modifications to other programming of the modules.

It’s all here on the site. Search around and there’s an in-depth thread. The dongle is fairly cheap. FORScan also allows more in depth trouble shooting than a cheap scanner and allows minor modifications to other programming of the modules.
Thanks man ive been reading into it. Seems like a good Diagnostic sofware.

okay so you have the stuff to plumb a return line to the tank and you are doing away with the 3 port fuel filter on the sport trac and you are going to run a fuel pump that supplies 45-50 psi?

The other option is to run a 98-01 fuel rail and injectors, then you can leave the rest of the sport trac fuel system alone
The 98+ rail/injectors DOES work with the 96-97 PCM

okay so you have the stuff to plumb a return line to the tank and you are doing away with the 3 port fuel filter on the sport trac and you are going to run a fuel pump that supplies 45-50 psi?

The other option is to run a 98-01 fuel rail and injectors, then you can leave the rest of the sport trac fuel system alone
The 98+ rail/injectors DOES work with the 96-97 PCM
Thats what im planning is the 98 injectors and rail but i also have an AEM pump from my mustang build i never used thats 50 psi 325 lph and i have 7an fittings and line i was planning to adapt to the 96 rail.but i think its an easier route with the 98 rail as my block is 99 and it already has the rail

yes easier route for sure! Also the return less fuel is nice because the fuel stays much much cooler = more power and better Mpg

The 96-01 PCM simply turns the fuel pump on and off it does not regulate pressure so the 96-97 computer will run the 98-01 rail, I have done this a few times now.

So the sport trac had pats securtiy, your 96 pcm does not need it
The sport trac uses a starter relay in the power junction box under the hood. That relay gets its ground signal from the now missing PATS system. So you will need to ground the dark blue with orange wire so the sport trac ignition switch will run the starter

You will have some wiring to do when it comes to the 96 alternator/charging harness, the 96 5.0 alternator wiring is way different then the 02 trac......... but the wiring is not the complicated once you have the wiring books for both the drivetrain and the truck.

yes easier route for sure! Also the return less fuel is nice because the fuel stays much much cooler = more power and better Mpg

The 96-01 PCM simply turns the fuel pump on and off it does not regulate pressure so the 96-97 computer will run the 98-01 rail, I have done this a few times now.

The sport trac uses a starter relay in the power junction box under the hood. That relay gets its ground signal from the now missing PATS system. So you will need to ground the dark blue with orange wire so the sport trac ignition switch will run the starter

You will have some wiring to do when it comes to the 96 alternator/charging harness, the 96 5.0 alternator wiring is way different then the 02 trac......... but the wiring is not the complicated once you have the wiring books for both the drivetrain and the truck

You will have some wiring to do when it comes to the 96 alternator/charging harness, the 96 5.0 alternator wiring is way different then the 02 trac......... but the wiring is not the complicated once you have the wiring books for both the drivetrain and the truck.
Thanks man. Yeah the wiring is definitely going to be a challenge for me. I hate wiring ! I can build and blue print engines no problems . I can fix and scan as i was a mechanic for years but my biggest struggle was wiring.

well lucky for you the wiring is not terribly tricky on this conversion!
The bad news is I moved from Colorado to Idaho in 2017 :)

Time to make a wiring map, I am headed to airport this am but when I get back this evening I will be scanning in some wiring info. There are three people doing conversions right now that I am helping, all 3 of them need some wiring info scanned...so that will happen tonight. I have MOST of the books we need, my library of these books is getting bigger with each of these builds........

well lucky for you the wiring is not terribly tricky on this conversion!
The bad news is I moved from Colorado to Idaho in 2017 :)

Time to make a wiring map, I am headed to airport this am but when I get back this evening I will be scanning in some wiring info. There are three people doing conversions right now that I am helping, all 3 of them need some wiring info scanned...so that will happen tonight. I have MOST of the books we need, my library of these books is getting bigger with each of these builds........
Thanks man! Yeah im actually getting ready to move out of CO . Going to texas or utah. The politics have ruined the state Pretty badly!. It would have nice if ford put the 5L in the tracs from the beginning! The 4L is a horrendous engine. German engineering ! . Why in the hell would they have done the timing chain system the way they did. Makes zero sense. Plastic inserts for fuel injector bosses lol two piece seam welded plastic intakes and a plastic thermostat housing . Rear timing chain gear plug that leaks and no metal backing for the cassettes. 4x4 balance shaft due to much harmonic vibrations..its a disaster ! I was trying to stuff a 4.6 2v in it but that would require me to cut up the engine bay a bunch . That would have been a badass swap

yes the 4.6 is a pretty good swap but the SBF 5.0 is right at home since Ford put it in the 96 explorer and your truck is nearly identical

I agree with you
You will not find a sohc 4.0 in my fleet, only the pushrod 4.0 and pushrod 5.0, also some international 7.3's I like reliable :)

yes the 4.6 is a pretty good swap but the SBF 5.0 is right at home since Ford put it in the 96 explorer and your truck is nearly identical

I agree with you
You will not find a sohc 4.0 in my fleet, only the pushrod 4.0 and pushrod 5.0, also some international 7.3's I like reliable :)
The 7.3 psd is a tank of an engine .they never die. Ive got an old ranger a 94 with 4.0 ohv
240k and still going strong with 135/140 compression. I love the old 4.0 ohv engines. The transmissions...those are junk. The a4ld is horrendous. It seemed like ford just couldn't get it with their small trucks. Ive been told the standard trans isnt too bad though

Yes I own 3ea 7.3 trucks I love them. I ran a 1993 Ford OHV in my bronco II for 12+ years, perfect power plan to a Bronco II. The A4LD has some issues you could say, all of the v6 auto's grew up from the old Pinto c3 automatic, the a4ld was an attempt to add an overdrive to that old 3 speed.....luckily for us the 4 and 5 speeds were used behind the cologne v6's for many years, so nowdays with enough know how an A4LD can be heavily upgraded inside using the later model 4r and 5r55e internals.
Still I much prefer to build these trucks two ways:
1. 4.0 OHV and Mazda 5 speed (the 5 speed was also used until 2011 behind the SOHC in the Ranger, they were upgraded a bunch in the later models)
2. 5.0 OHV with 4r70w, the 4r70w is a half ton automatic, way overkill in a Ranger = perfect!!

Yes I own 3ea 7.3 trucks I love them. I ran a 1993 Ford OHV in my bronco II for 12+ years, perfect power plan to a Bronco II. The A4LD has some issues you could say, all of the v6 auto's grew up from the old Pinto c3 automatic, the a4ld was an attempt to add an overdrive to that old 3 speed.....luckily for us the 4 and 5 speeds were used behind the cologne v6's for many years, so nowdays with enough know how an A4LD can be heavily upgraded inside using the later model 4r and 5r55e internals.
Still I much prefer to build these trucks two ways:
1. 4.0 OHV and Mazda 5 speed (the 5 speed was also used until 2011 behind the SOHC in the Ranger, they were upgraded a bunch in the later models)
2. 5.0 OHV with 4r70w, the 4r70w is a half ton automatic, way overkill in a Ranger = perfect!!
Ive got the 4r70w i built in my 65 mustang to hold gnarly power! All smart tech parts 300M input shaft ,high capacity forward billet drum , billet one piece direct drum , red eagle clutch packs rebuild kit from performance automatic. Billet servo . The mustang has a 5.4 2v 9 thread PI heads i ported . Lightning lower . Homemade upper to adapt a vmp gen 3 blower . Rods and oil pump gear are from mmr JE pistons and rings . All arp. It made 687 hp 775 torque . Those 4r70w's are very good transmissions ! One of fords best. Now putting an ohv 5L into a sport fail with a 4r70 ....yeah thats reliability like a tank. Im still waiting for my books to come in the evtm books for the years im looking at. Like i said wiring kicks my ass !

You can do it! This wiring is not complex, after 96 all Fords up to 2005 have the 42 pin connector, most wires in that connector stay put and are usually a match. It is the ones that move around that complicates things. There are things to know, like in 97-98 the switch from analog signals to digital was made complete, the v6 trucks after 2001 use the rear axle VSS and new 0ss in the back of the trans to calculate the vss signal, the change from return to returnless fuel happened in 98-2000 for the explorer and in 98 for the ranger...etc etc

You can do it! This wiring is not complex, after 96 all Fords up to 2005 have the 42 pin connector, most wires in that connector stay put and are usually a match. It is the ones that move around that complicates things. There are things to know, like in 97-98 the switch from analog signals to digital was made complete, the v6 trucks after 2001 use the rear axle VSS and new 0ss in the back of the trans to calculate the vss signal, the change from return to returnless fuel happened in 98-2000 for the explorer and in 98 for the ranger...etc etc
Yeah i didn't know that. Im getting my new vss from the transmission . What about E shift on a 4406 ? Would it work or need re-pin ?

well we don't even know what year your sport trac is
Is this 4wd or RWD?
This is not Pirate4x4, if you want help with your conversion be nice :)

When dealing with a sport trac it is MUCH EASIER to install a 98-01 5.0 drivetrain because the 98-01 has returnless fuel and the pats security system is compatible with the 01-02 trac, also the sport tracs all have a rear axle speed sensor, once you remove the v6 the sport tracs main VSS is now gone........leaving you just the rear axle speed sensor to use., your 96 uses a tail housing speed sensor... you will still need to convert the speedometer signal, whether you want to mess with the G force sensor or not, the sport trac does not care as it will not work with the 96 sensor from the tail housing :)

Fitting the 96 5.0 drivetrain can still be done, buy you have actually created more work for yourself by choosing the 96 donor.
Nobody is going to just give you a wiring harness "map" because every single conversion is different so there is no "map" there are even mid year changes to the 5.0 wiring harness'.

I have converted a "few" trucks to 5.0 (like more then 10) I can help, but do not come here thinking you know it all because I can assure you do not. Unless you have done this before? Clearly you have not. Go back and read your first two posts here, they do not sound like someone who is asking for help nicely, they read like somebody who already has it all figured out and just wants free info handed to them. No such thing!!

You see when people get deep into these conversions and cannot figure them out, well that's when they bring them to me.....
You can look all over the web, there is only ONE place you will find ALL of the info you need.... I am the one who wrote it all down and catalogs these conversions...SVO comes close, you can find info on TRS, ranger forums, here on the explorer forum and others.... there are bits and pieces of these conversions all over the web, but only ONE person who covers EVERY ASPECT from start to finish and he is typing this to you right now.
Uh .......410..... Im grooving on your response dude!!!!!! because I think I can get a clear answer that is factual....I have a

2001 Sport Trac, 2WD, with 5 speed...So whats does "Doctor 410" recommend for a 5.0 switch, being what year

5.0? and what about the manual 5 speed in the 2001 STrac now......Whats needed for the new used 5.0 manual

trans???

PS, Dont be braking my heart on the answer....Make it like a fairy tale where

I spray some WD 40 on it and it all goes in with some pliers and 1 alan wrench......

thanks 410.........................Gray
1609022322051.png

Is this 4wd or RWD?

When dealing with a sport trac it is MUCH EASIER to install a 98-01 5.0 drivetrain because the 98-01 has returnless fuel and the pats security system is compatible with the 01-02 trac, also the sport tracs all have a rear axle speed sensor, once you remove the v6 the sport tracs main VSS is now gone........leaving you just the rear axle speed sensor to use., your 96 uses a tail housing speed sensor... you will still need to convert the speedometer signal, whether you want to mess with the G force sensor or not, the sport trac does not care as it will not work with the 96 sensor from the tail housing :)

Fitting the 96 5.0 drivetrain can still be done, buy you have actually created more work for yourself by choosing the 96 donor.
Nobody is going to just give you a wiring harness "map" because every single conversion is different so there is no "map" there are even mid year changes to the 5.0 wiring harness'.

I have converted a "few" trucks to 5.0 (like more then 10) I can help, but do not come here thinking you know it all because I can assure you do not. Unless you have done this before? Clearly you have not. Go back and read your first two posts here, they do not sound like someone who is asking for help nicely, they read like somebody who already has it all figured out and just wants free info handed to them. No such thing!!

You see when people get deep into these conversions and cannot figure them out, well that's when they bring them to me.....
You can look all over the web, there is only ONE place you will find ALL of the info you need.... I am the one who wrote it all down and catalogs these conversions...SVO comes close, you can find info on TRS, ranger forums, here on the explorer forum and others.... there are bits and pieces of these conversions all over the web, but only ONE person who covers EVERY ASPECT from start to finish and he is typing this to you right now.
Getting ready to drop explorer 5.0 into an rx8 chassis. Track only car. You seem to have a ton of knowledge with the explorer and was wondering if you would be willing to share some of what you know with me. Have complete 97 Explorer and would like to have a minimal amount of wiring. Don’t care about any gauges or anything other than what it would take to get it running.

Sure thing

Your 97 does it have p heads or non p heads? Wiring one of these pcms to run is pretty simple really especially in 97

Your rx8 fuel system how many psi does the car fuel pump make? Is it a 38 psi or 64 psi system

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this 4wd or RWD?

You can look all over the web, there is only ONE place you will find ALL of the info you need about AC repair in Round Rock.... I am the one who wrote it all down and catalogs these conversions...SVO comes close, you can find info on TRS, ranger forums, here on the explorer forum and others.... there are bits and pieces of these conversions all over the web, but only ONE person who covers EVERY ASPECT from start to finish and he is typing this to you right now.
I bought a complete 96' 5.0L truck engine for a swap im doing. came with engine harness. what do need to make it fire up? i know i'll need a fender mounted icm and manual trans ecu and main wiring harness. anything else?

Back