1996 explorer no start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 explorer no start

Joe Jose

Reaction score
City, State
lumberton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
I've been fighting this for 6 months. 96 4L intermittent no start. thought it was the fuel pump when I got it to start after banging on the tank. After replacing fuel pump the problem reappeared 2 weeks later. I don't think I have spark. I'm sure I'm not checking correctly but I have seen spark (when the thing starts) by taking a plug off the coil putting a screwdriver in and touching the screwdriver with the end of the plug. Now it won't start and I can't get spark. I've replaced the coil and crank position sensor pulled the PCM off and it looked ok. Anyone please help.
Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been fighting this for 6 months. 96 4L intermittent no start. thought it was the fuel pump when I got it to start after banging on the tank. After replacing fuel pump the problem reappeared 2 weeks later. I don't think I have spark. I'm sure I'm not checking correctly but I have seen spark (when the thing starts) by taking a plug off the coil putting a screwdriver in and touching the screwdriver with the end of the plug. Now it won't start and I can't get spark. I've replaced the coil and crank position sensor pulled the PCM off and it looked ok. Anyone please help.
Joe

Observe the check engine light when you turn the key and can't start. If it does not come on you have a bad PCM relay in the box under the hood. THe same could be for the fuel pump relay. For about $7 each, I would change both. Get them at Ford.

My Explorer isnt starting. My check engine light is working as it flashes when I turn the key but as the engine turns over without starting it does not light. Is it supposed to?

Just turn your key to ON... don't try to start it. Does the CE light stay solid. It should for as long as your key is on. If it doesn't, then you have a problem... probably a relay (PCM).
On a "START" attempt, if the engine is turning and the PCM detects that, it turns the light off.... and it should stay off and not flash.... if it flashes, you likely have a problem... battery or connection.

Also, when you turn the key to ON, you should hear the fuel pump prime for a second or 2. If not, you have a fuel delivery problem. Could be as simple as the fuel pump relay or intertia switch, or as bad as a faulty fuel pump.

Back