1996 Ford Explorer Sport won't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Ford Explorer Sport won't start

DanCha11

Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996, Explorer, Sport
This Explorer appears to have an intermittent problem. Sometimes it will start; sometimes it won't. I would say now most of the time it won't. The battery is strong, cranks the engine just fine. It acts like there is no spark. Could it be a fuel problem? Where should I look first?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is your fuel pump working? Turn your key to the on position but don't start it, as soon as you do this, can you hear the fuel pump prime for a couple seconds?

Check for the engine ground wires. Those rarely go loose. Clean the fuel system out with a tube of injector cleaner, twice for grins.

To update on this no start problem. I have done the following:
1. Checked spark to spark plugs - none
2. Checked spark at coil towers - none
3. Checked for battery power at the coil. Present - okay
4. Checked resistances on the primary and secondary sides of the coil - all okay.
5. Checked output from crankshaft sensor. Okay - able to read a fluctuating voltage.
6. Checked PCM to see if it was switching between different coil towers. Did not switch - test suggest not working.
7. I originally tried to read the OBDII codes. I got an error message saying "no link" was found.
8. I am going to try and look for shorts.
9. Can I conclude the PCM needs to be changed out?

Check for the engine ground wires.

^ Try this. PCM is one of the last things you should consider. My buddies Chevy 2500 wouldn't start and turns out all his grounds under the hood were rusted/filthy. Fires everytime now.

Back