• Register Today It's free!

1996 Ford ranger xlt fixable?

CommonCurtisy

Reaction score
City, State
Delhi CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996, Ford Ranger XLT
Hey y’all! It’s a Ford Ranger XLT 1996 New here but would y’all think it’s fixable or should I just try to sell it? I got it for $600 from a friend he got in a fender bender and bent the front end I’ve had it for about 3 years just driving it here and there keeping it running every so often but I’m thinking of putting money into it and was wondering if anyone thinks I should just get rid of it or not.

D2D7F5AD-2FC8-4923-82B0-E764DC158005.jpeg BF04836A-DDA0-422A-AF23-45D6FFF28AEF.jpeg 03D44891-8A64-43D6-A6CA-754440503DA4.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6356.MOV
    6.3 MB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey y’all! It’s a Ford Ranger XLT 1996 New here but would y’all think it’s fixable or should I just try to sell it? I got it for $600 from a friend he got in a fender bender and bent the front end I’ve had it for about 3 years just driving it here and there keeping it running every so often but I’m thinking of putting money into it and was wondering if anyone thinks I should just get rid of it or not.

View attachment 426205 View attachment 426206 View attachment 426208
Howdy to the group. Hopefully you have the body parts, fenders, etc.
Even so, you'll put WAY TOO MUCH money into it, unless you want to go Rat Rod. If your state doesn't require inspections or emissions, look for headers and Feaux Masters. (Fake FloMasters). Drive it til it drops.

View attachment 426205 View attachment 426206 View attachment 426208

Of course it is! Is that a 4.0 engine? It will go forever. I put 370,000 hard miles on my 93, with zero engine work done.
I bought my 94 for $300, put a few hundred into it, and been driving it for a year and a half. It’s a beater but I’m cool with that.
The only real weak link in these trucks is the auto trans.

So there you have it. A Conformation to Keep it, and one to beat it.
I hope that solves your dilemma .
Just kidding, well sorta, well, as that old song goes.....
You put the Lime in the Coconut...............

Howdy to the group. Hopefully you have the body parts, fenders, etc.
Even so, you'll put WAY TOO MUCH money into it, unless you want to go Rat Rod. If your state doesn't require inspections or emissions, look for headers and Feaux Masters. (Fake FloMasters). Drive it til it drops.
Of course it is! Is that a 4.0 engine? It will go forever. I put 370,000 hard miles on my 93, with zero engine work done.
I bought my 94 for $300, put a few hundred into it, and been driving it for a year and a half. It’s a beater but I’m cool with that.
The only real weak link in these trucks is the auto trans.
How would one fix the bent frame? Also would you think a bench seat would fit if I were to take out the 60/40 seats?

How would one fix the bent frame? Also would you think a bench seat would fit if I were to take out the 60/40 seats?
A porta power will straighten the bent frame, and a 1st gen ranger bench seat will fit. You doing the repairs yourself, it wouldn't cost a lot to fix that truck.

You can hook it to a tractor with a chain and bump it back straight, we did it on a 94, few lights and a grill good as new!

Oh Keep it getting harder to find!

Ah, you didn’t say the frame was bent, or I guess that’s what you meant by bent front end. But yeah, bend it back and see how it is. My high mileage Ranger was twice totaled, in 2000 and again in 2001, I had it fixed and put on 250,000 more miles, so...

A porta power will straighten the bent frame, and a 1st gen ranger bench seat will fit. You doing the repairs yourself, it wouldn't cost a lot to fix that truck.
I’ve been looking for bench seats do you know where I would be able to find a bench seat that would fit?

eBay for seats

Old 96 ranger way up in value right now

We try to keep every ranger we can on the road I would for sure fix this truck

Here's a search w/ several showing bench seats available starting at $50.

When parts are not rare (no need to waste time on the "Call" listings), it's most efficient to click the Price header, then start at the bottom of the page marked with '*' (in this case, page 9*) and work forward (increasing prices).

To avoid spending time with bucket seat and incomplete listings, on each page do a search for "bench."

After accumulating a list of which seats (color and condition) are available where and for how much, then it's just a matter of deciding how far you want to drive to pay what $$. Many will ship the parts, but most of these will tell you up front that you're giving up your right to inspect and the sale is final.

Can also search for the front cosmetic parts, possibly get the best deal the more you buy. Best of luck!

Back