1996 P0500 help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 P0500 help!

jjstandardz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer
Hey guys working on a 1996 explorer 4WD 4.0 V6, code is P0500

Recently the check engine light came on, along with the O/D light, speedometer acts eratically, sometimes working but mostly just not working at all.

Transmission also shifts eratically

I replaced the vehicle speed sensor on top of the rear differential and have had no change in symptoms, is there any other speed sensors on the vehicle? I was reading about one possible on the transfer case or transmission?

what do you guys think i should try next?

The code reader at oreillys said some possible fixes included fuse 14,25, and 26, but any other ideas?

thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have the automatic transmission so the vss could be mounted on the transmission, on mine it's mounted on the transfer case, either way it should be easy to find, it's the longer of the two sensors pictured, you have to take it out and put the plastic gear from your old one on the new one it has a type of snap ring that holds it on...

Better double-check where your VSS is located. As I understand it, the VSS on a '96 4x4 automatic is on the transfer case. They didn't start putting them on top of the rear diff until '98.

You have the automatic transmission so the vss could be mounted on the transmission, on mine it's mounted on the transfer case, either way it should be easy to find, it's the longer of the two sensors pictured, you have to take it out and put the plastic gear from your old one on the new one it has a type of snap ring that holds it on...

This is what mine looks like...

R10tFSr.jpg

Ok thanks guys that sensor looks a bit different than the one I replaced.

I went to oreillys and asked for the speed sensor and he gave me the one that fits on top of the rear differential so that's what I did.

I will look and see and try to replace the other one if it's there

Better double-check where your VSS is located. As I understand it, the VSS on a '96 4x4 automatic is on the transfer case. They didn't start putting them on top of the rear diff until '98.

Hm, ok what was the sensor that i replaced on the rear diff then?

Back