1997 5r55e shifting problems

jackndelphine

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT,97 sport
Hi,

I have a 97 sport with the 5r55e tranny in it, and I am having some problems with it shifting, and I think it may be electrical but I am not sure. The first thing I have noticed is that when I go to back out of my driveway, when I shift from Park to Reverse, there is a delay, it goes into reverse, then I can feel it come out and then back into reverse, then its fine. This all happens within about 5 seconds or less. Next, I have noticed that if I really get on the pedal and run out the RPMs, like when you are trying to get into traffic from a dead stop, when it goes to shift from 3rd to 4th, it seems like it doesnt want to upshift, so I let off the gas, and it feels like it actually falls out of gear, and so I keep my foot off the gas and it shifts into gear with a strange thump, and everything is grand. This only happens when the truck is under heavy acceloration, just cruising around is fine. Now, the other day, I am sitting at a light, and the truck is just about warmed up, and the light changes, I let off the brake and the tranny slips for a nano second and goes into first gear, almost like it went into neutral by itself, it wasnt even a violent jerk or clunk because it did it so quick the rpms didnt even have a chance to build up. So I am wondering if this is all connected? I was thinking maybe a shift solenoid or something like that? If anyone has any advice, that would be great!!

Jack

Back