1997 Explorer front halfshafts

MacaPaul

Reaction score
City, State
West Fork, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport 4 X 4
Hi to everyone,

This is my first posting on this site. Thanks to the owners for what appears to be a very informative and helpful site, and to the many members who are willing to share their expertise and experience.

Here's my question: I am replacing lower ball joints on my 1997 explorer 4 X 4. I have everything disassembled, and am ready to rent a ball joint press and remove the old lower ball joints. Everything is out of the way - brake caliper and rotor removed, hub removed, bearing assembly wired up out of the way, steering knuckle separated from ball joint stud and wired up out of the way (I left the upper ball joint attached). I have now realized that the driver's-side CV joints are bad, and intend to replace them "while I'm in there".

I'm sure you're all familiar with the old "while I'm in there" philosophy. This is a wonderful method to build a completely new vehicle, one component at a time, at a cost at least 10 times that of a new vehicle, not to mention untold hours of work!!

Someone please tell me how to remove the halfshaft assembly from the front axle. I have not yet removed the inner CV joint's boot, but will do so tomorrow. Any advice you may have will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

MacaPaul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site!

They just pull out. They have a circlip on the end that goes into a detent in the differential (or inner shaft on the passenger's side) that just snaps into place. You may have to give a good yank once the boots are off, but it's pretty simple.

Thanks, JDraper

JDraper,

Thank you for the tip. Sounds pretty simple. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

MacaPaul

welcome macapal

Welcome to this forum! You need a slap hammer with a horseshoe attachment.

Hate to say it, but with both of the Gen II Explorers (a 96 and an 01) I pulled the half shafts on, I didn't need it. One good yank and they popped out.:cool:

i had one on a 97 that fought me for two hours a big ass pry bar is what was needed to break that sucker loose!

I hate to say this but while you are in there you should be doing upper ball joints (entire control arm d side) and inner and outer tie rods

and if you have 150K+ miles you should be looking at new hub assemblies

I spent about $750 re-doing the front end on my 96, new hubs, all joints, tie rod ends, brakes, the good stuff not cheap parts here :)
Worth every penny! rides like a dream now......

Is there a write-up on doing the inner tie-rods somewhere? The outers seem pretty straight-forward.

Hi again ---

My shafts came right out with a gentle pry using a big screwdriver - no particular force required. To date, I have replaced both lower ball joints, the driver's side upper arm / ball joint, and the half-shafts. I've had the front aligned, and it feels nice & tight.

All well & good, but I STILL get a little bit of a "clunk" when going over bumps. Any ideas?? I'm starting to wonder if the lower control arm bushings might be sloppy --- has anyone had experience replacing these? I assume you have to let off the torque on the torsion bar to safely remove the lower arm. I also assume that the new bushings just press into the arm. I anyone knows otherwise, please let me know.

Thanks to all ---

MacaPaul

Back