1997 Explorer Limited 5.0 No Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer Limited 5.0 No Start

Garifini

Reaction score
City, State
Portland,Or
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Limited 5.0
Hello,

Just picked up this Explorer last Friday. What I was told about this vehicle is that it needed a water pump, and that the serpentine belt had failed. They had also removed the schrader valve and pinned the pump to syphon the gas, then it sat for 2 months. I replaced:

Water Pump
Thermostat
Serpentine Belt
Plugs
Plug Wires
Coil Packs
Battery
Ran an additional ground to chassis and Engine from Negative side of battery
Air Filter
Cleaned MAF and throttle body.
Radiator( old one was leaking at the ribs)

It cranks just fine, has occasionally backfired through the intake. When starting after sitting for 5 or more minutes it acts like it will start, but cranking right after that there is no life. There is fuel at the fuel rail, and after cranking the plugs smell of gas. I have tried two other sets of coil packs, same result.

I can only think that i am dealing with a crank or cam sensor, or stretched timing belt
But I dont know the 302 like some of you guys. Any advice would be appreciated.

Gary

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Although you have fuel at the rails, I would check pressure with a gauge to ensure it is up to factory spec. Sometimes you'll get some pressure on a weak/dying fuel pump, but it won't be enough to run the vehicle. Also, you may want to try holding the gas pedal to the floor when cranking and see if that has any effect. It's possible that it could be flooding with too much fuel. Holding the pedal to the floor while cranking should shut down injectors temporarily and clear any flooding. Then it may attempt to start.

Hello,

Just picked up this Explorer last Friday. What I was told about this vehicle is that it needed a water pump, and that the serpentine belt had failed. They had also removed the schrader valve and pinned the pump to syphon the gas, then it sat for 2 months. I replaced:

Water Pump
Thermostat
Serpentine Belt
Plugs
Plug Wires
Coil Packs
Battery
Ran an additional ground to chassis and Engine from Negative side of battery
Air Filter
Cleaned MAF and throttle body.
Radiator( old one was leaking at the ribs)

It cranks just fine, has occasionally backfired through the intake. When starting after sitting for 5 or more minutes it acts like it will start, but cranking right after that there is no life. There is fuel at the fuel rail, and after cranking the plugs smell of gas. I have tried two other sets of coil packs, same result.

I can only think that i am dealing with a crank or cam sensor, or stretched timing belt
But I dont know the 302 like some of you guys. Any advice would be appreciated.

Gary

This procedure, if followed, will really help you to identify the issue.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264205

Thank you Goldmaster and Turdle for your help.

Went through the No Start checklist, and found that whoever tried to get the truck going before me must of removed the Crank Sensor, I found the bottom bolt was hanging freely and not mounted in. Each time i cranked it, I bet that guy was bouncing all over the place. I am glad I didnt shear it straight off. I mounted it correctly, and low abd behold, fired right up.

Appreciate it guys!

Another issue is the PCV Valve. It is sitting there whistling like crazy, it has a hose attached to the rear side , facing the rear of the engine, but the side pointing at the front of the engine has nothing attached. Is there a hose connection I cannot see under the plenum, a cap? Thanks for any advice.

Another issue is the PCV Valve. It is sitting there whistling like crazy, it has a hose attached to the rear side , facing the rear of the engine, but the side pointing at the front of the engine has nothing attached. Is there a hose connection I cannot see under the plenum, a cap? Thanks for any advice.

Here is a view of the upper intake's bottom side

In the upper right hand corner you can see a plastic t connector which is in the shape of an "F" , 2 vacuum lines and the pcv valve

Both of those lines provide the PCV vacuum. Hopefully this view will help you to get it reconnected.

012_zps828403a8.jpg

My PCV valve set up looks a bit different. The valve seems to be connected right into the lower right side near the back of the plenum, with a line coming out the back of it, and nothing on the front. Ill try to take a pic of it, and post it here. I wouldnt doubt if it is just like everything else on this rig that I have had to correct. Just rewired the drivers side headlight, and tossed out some "Franken-Wiring" that someone threw together.

Back