• Register Today It's free!

97 xlt 5.0 no start help

Hambone101

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa Bay Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT 5.0
Hey guys, a minor inconvienence is turning into a headache. First off, I have a crank/no start condition. At first I thought it was the fuel pump as I wasn't hearing it come on. Bought a fuel pump and inline filter thinking that was my problem. I did the fuel pump first as it was the easier thing to get to. Popped off the lines and there was still a bunch of pressure on the pump side of the line. Turns out the filter was really clogged. Shame on me for assuming that the previous owner actually maintained the vehicle. After replacing the filter, attempted to start, still would not start, however found full pressure up to the rail.

Then I used my scanner to check data stream, didn't see an rpm signal. Verified reference power to the crank sensor. Replaced the crank sensor, now I have an rpm signal. Still no start, no spark. Beating my head on this one, as the only thing I can think of is possibly the cam sensor. But that doesn't make sense as the cam sensor would control the fuel injectors not the spark.

I'm just playing with this thing after work. So any and all help would be greatly appreciated on which way I should be heading on this thing.

Back