1997 MM 5.0 TC & WP refresh & ignition coil-near-plug conversion-Temporarily on hold- | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 MM 5.0 TC & WP refresh & ignition coil-near-plug conversion-Temporarily on hold-

If you don't want to wait for the fancy wrenches, I've had good luck in the past using a wrench that's slightly too big and putting electrical tape on the jaws. It's trial and error to find the right size, but the tape is enough to not scratch the anodizing on the fittings as long as you don't crank too hard.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@97Sandbox Thanks for the tip. I did a variation of that with a thin rag but I didn't think of tape even as it was sitting there in front of me. I got the -6 AN snug for the moment until the wrenches arrive. I picked the adjustables because I figured that they were the most versatile.
1997mm ss braided fuel line AN wrenches.PNG

Yesterday, the last of the AN fittings arrived and today the pair of special wrenches. I finished the 8 line, and installed it to check the fit. I've now removed them in order to install the power train harness. I have purchased many fittings and hose.
Upper connections.
1997mm fuel line rail con.jpg

Lower line connections.
1997mm fuel line body con.jpg

And removed again...
1997mm fuel braided lines assembled.jpg

I purchased several items.
$36.00 (2) 4 foot sections of braided hose, used 12.5" -8 and 19" -6
$27.46 (2) Fragola -8 AN swivel straight fittings ended up with an extra after needing 45 degree
$22.88 (2) Fragola -6 AN swivel straight fittings, used both
$19.20 (1) Fragola -8 AN to Ford spring lock 1/2"
$24.25 (2) pair of Billet -6AN and _8AN Ford spring lock fuel rail adapters, used 1 pair after discovery, Save -8 one for '54/Ranger project
$11.28 (2) Chinese 45s 2Pcs Swivel Hose End Fitting Adaptor AN8 8AN 45° Degree For Oil Fuel Line Black Cheap! one for '54
$27.-00 (1) Racetronix from Canada fml spring-lock to AN-6 male
$18.00 (1) pair of AN adjustable wrenches
I would need to add up just what I have used of all of this on the 97 Mountaineer. It would be nice to find Ford braided lines with spring lock fittings on both end the length that they would need to be after removing them from the valve covers instead of the AN conversion.
~$107 (ouch) on the Mountaineer with enough parts leftover to make a single rail (non return) braided line for '54 project.
Wrenches I didn't include in that total. That will leave one -6 AN to Ford spring lock leftover.
I will still need another $19.20 Fragola part for the 1/2" spring lock fuel line for the '54. (ASA Col/Phnx)
I'll be in over $200 by the time that I get that last made in USA Fragola (Connecticut) part, but that is for duel lines on one and a single on the other. There will be few feet of hose leftover.

Unfortunately, the Mountaineer project is on a temporary hold. I'm at the point of being able to put the powertrain harness back on but before I do that, I want to use the oxygen/acetylene torch set to heat up the exhaust manifold nuts or studs to get the out of the flange/s of the header type manifolds. I don't want to damage the wiring while I use the torch set. I have a lot of brain power and labor modifying the harness.
I read that Gordon had to do some old-fashioned garage detective work to find his cast iron manifold. I'm beyond that as I look for 3 missing oxygen and acetylene gauges. Dad's old set had a leaking diaphragm on the oxygen gauge and my old set had a leaking acetylene gauge. I made a working set out of two sets. I'm at the point of "archeological dig" as I search for the missing tools. I looked all the way back to post #60 on April 13th, 2022. I used the torch set to remove a broken water pump bolt. In the same season, I used the set to attempt to straighten the old 4x8' trailer tongue, so the gauges have to be going on 2 years deep. Somewhere 3 out of 4 gauges are together and they ARE NOT in the front half of the old shop. The back half of the old shop is where a "big dig" is about to have to happen.
Last week, the white '97 blew a hose and I have been working on that vehicle fixing that and going ahead and changing out most of the rest of the old rubber. Late in March I collected up some more parts for the 5.0 for the '54 F100 project now that the Mountaineer will not be coming apart. The original plan was to fix the Mountaineer then later use the powertrain for the '54. Not now. I want to keep "Tow Mo'" together.
As soon as I find the gauges and rearrange some, I will be able to remove the front half of the exhaust system and replace it with manifolds and the other cat delete hardware.
Wish me luck on the "dig".

Good luck!
I’ve helped my buddy get his shop organized over the last two years. He is old and has a huge shop it has been very interesting to see all the old tools and hear the history.. most of it was his dads going back to the 30s and 40s boy those were the good ol days I only Missed it by 30 years hahaha

A clean shop is an efficient shop I always say
My shop is also buried in projects
Time to work through them one at a time

How do you eat an elephant?

@410Fortune At me and brother's shop, multiple projects and the lack of indoor space are one thing. Back in 1985 when we bought the shop and property, we moved out here with 15 vehicles, 2 30 ft flatbed loads of loose 1965-68 Mustang parts and numerous pick-up loads of stuff. There is more now.
3 to 4 years ago, we moved what was left of Dad's garage stuff here and the next summer helped a high school friend go through one of his deceased relative's garage and of course we got some stuff from that too. When he got halfway through the project, he found a 1964 Chevy truck, complete in that old garage. He has it running now. The garage was so full that none of us knew about the truck.
I/we constantly remind ourselves that everything that we have acquired got in here one piece at a time. I need to put on some latex gloves and get to sorting. That's all I really feel like doing today after blowing out my back being bent over under the hood of the white '97 earlier this week and once last week.

Do you have a topside creeper? Really helps w the back
Brother from another mother!
We moved 1400 miles… never again!

You may have mentioned the topside creaper before. I didn't use my 2" thick phone book "belly pad" either. It was under the hood of the Mountaineer.
I'm going off topic a bit. I spotted my old Super Tuner that quit working and another one that I picked up for parts. That might be my old late 1970's 8 track tape player too. I wore out a RUSH 2112 8 track with that thing. I may add other pics to this post through the day instead of it bumping to the top constantly.
supertuners.jpg

Seeing those 8 track units, first thing to pop into my head is the old K-Tel records commercials.

I didn't waste too much time searching for the gauge set. My shop neighbor came over with some fresh eggs. While we were talking, I told him about our misplaced set. He said he might have a set that is still good. I've used up alot of time searching. They will be the last place that I look.
The logical thing to do now is go back to the front of the line of vehicles and finish that one and get it back to the customer. It was at our shop
to have the interior finished including restoring the gauge set and making them work. I won't go into any details of the work on this
'69 Mustang Sportsroof. 351 Windsor powered with a 4 speed. Simple, but effective. Car arrived running.
1969 Mustang 351W.jpg

Instruments.

1969 Mustang instruments.jpg

Front view.
1969 Mustang front view.jpg

Right side interior pic.
1969 Mustang right interior view.jpg

Soon this '69 will leave and the '66 coupe on the lift will move to this carport spot. Then the Mountaineer can go onto the 4 post lift.

Oh man I bet that is a hoot to drive

Back