1998 5.0 front of engine water leak. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 5.0 front of engine water leak.

vetski179

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
1 month ago, water was leaking out of engine at front. Replaced water pump. Upon inspection, the stock water pump was probably OK, but wasn't going to reuse a 150k miles pump. Noticed thermostat housing leaking. Fixed as well. All good for a month. Today, water leaking from front, same exact spot. Inpected all that I could see of my previous work. All good from the top side. Inspected all the hoses. All good. Almost impossible to check things from underside. Super cramped. But, I've a endescope which I attached to a wire. With it, I was able to see the lower water pump bolts. The ones that would have tell-tale signs of water dripping off of them if the lower gasket on the water pump had failed. Dry as a bone. No indications water was leaking there at all. I know on the 302 there's the water pump, then there's the housing that doubles as the timing chain cover that the pump attaches to. Water flows through this housing into the block. Any chance that this housing is cracked or the gaskets are weeping? I won't be able to see anything until I take everything apart again.

20230311_160247.jpg 20230311_160342.jpg 20230311_160459.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

timing cover leaks are very common on older 5.0 yes

The water does indeed flow through the timing cover and into andf out of the water pump
The timing cover gasket is known to develop leaks and needs to be replaced
There are a few tips and tricks to know for doing this repair in the truck
I can usually do it in a half day or full day depending if any of the bolts break

timing cover leaks are very common on older 5.0 yes

The water does indeed flow through the timing cover and into andf out of the water pump
The timing cover gasket is known to develop leaks and needs to be replaced
There are a few tips and tricks to know for doing this repair in the truck
I can usually do it in a half day or full day depending if any of the bolts break
Thank you. The leak is intermitant too. Yesterday, 1 quart leaked. Today, a cup. Using the same endoscope, this is the area where the timing cover meets the block, behind the alterntor, where the passnger side water passage goes throught the timing cover meets the block. Looks like a likey culprit to the water leak.

20230312_233850.jpg 20230312_233857.jpg 20230312_233904.jpg 20230312_233915.jpg

When removing the bolts it helps to loosen until they stop, thread em back in a bit then back out until they stop, and repeat. They break off very easily, beware. You are probably going to want to acquire new bolts, they are tricky to match up.

If they’re stuck stuck, I’ve heard those inductive heaters are magical for these bolts

I got lucky when replacing the water pump. All bolts came out. Wire wheeled them, then applied thread sealant to the long ones that go into block in case they're threaded into the water jacket. Also put anti seize on the shanks. Is the timing cover unique to a 5.0 in my '98 Explorer? Tried to look at it, especially the driver's side, and couldn't see anything. Ultra cramped! Is that oil filter mount a unique Explorer item, and does that attach to the timing cover?

Yes timing cover is unique to explorer 96-01 can get replacement around $100 or less of yours gets *****ed up

4 of the water pump bolts go into the water jacket
Those 4 same bolts are the ones that usually snap when doing timing cover so you maybe in good shape

Bolts are 5/16” various lengths and heads

The oil filter adapter is unique to explorer also but it attaches to the block not the timing cover. The 96-97.5 trucks have a oil cooler built into the oil filter mount in 98-01 it went away (failure point)

Timing cover is not a terrible
Job but there are some things to know like 4-6 bolts go upward from the oil pan and in order to get the timing cover off it will have to clear the locating dowels before it will pull up and out of the oil pan. Need a crank damper puller, oil change, gaskets, coolant

Back