• Register Today It's free!

2000 explorer water leak

Larry valstad

Reaction score
City, State
Richland center,wisc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford explorer4x4
Hi, I have a water leak on 40 ohv right under thermostat housing. When it leaks it runs down both sides of the engine. It doesn't leak at idle speed! When you speed it up , It leaks lots! New thermostat and gasket and new water pump so far! I'm thinking intake gaskets. Any other ideas? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe something simple...Did you put any rtv around the thermostat housing mounting surface? I like to put a thin bead around it, maybe 1/4 inch .

I'm not too familiar with the 4.0 OHV but is there a hose in the nearby area?

Yes, one of the heater hoses is above where the water is coming from. Thanks

Yes, one of the heater hoses is above where the water is coming from. Thanks
I kinda figured the gasket were bad ,s I tore it apart today and they are really shot!! I order new gasket set from rock. Most of you guys do this alot more than I do. Do you use a sealer on the new gasket and what kind? Thanks, Larry

what gasket? the intake?

Yes, All intake manifold gaskets, especially lower. All lower intake bolts were loose, Could turn with fingers! Thanks
Whew, all back together and running again! Anyone know if I need to retorque the lower intake manifold bolt after I run it awhile? Thanks

Re-torquing is suggested for all intake bolts. We all know it's not possible to reach them all sometimes.

Given the age of the vehicle, it's likely time to replace all of the coolant hoses. The bypass hose is often the one that blows first, it sees the most heat there at the water pump. I use a little anti-seize on the inside of hoses, it helps them to come off the next time.

Back