1998 Explorer 5.0 “Restoration2021” project | Page 37 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer 5.0 “Restoration2021” project

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I removed the exhaust manifolds today. All the exhaust bolts came out easily. No broken ones at all. Didn't even have to fight them. This engine has the cast iron manifolds. What is everyones opinion on the cast manifolds versus the tubular ones? The old motor has the tubular ones.

Cast way better then the early welded ones

When you say tubular what do you mean? The 96/97 manifolds look like a bunch of steel parts patch worked together

Tubular sounds more like the early fms headers
Let’s see the manifolds in question!

When you say tubular what do you mean? The 96/97 manifolds look like a bunch of steel parts patch worked together

I would say the welded ones. Patch work. They are not shorty headers or anything like that. I'm not in front of the explorer currently. Hold On I have old pictures here somewhere.

1696343753401.png

1696343777047.png

As long as they are a bolt in replacement I'll use the cast iron manifolds.

I still have the engine in the back of my van. Need to unload it and get the valve covers, timing cover and oil pan off. I will be looking at the bearings.

Cast manifolds waaaay better
Dorman sells a set for cheap but they will need some cleanup to be as good as the factory ones 99-01

Cast manifolds waaaay better
Dorman sells a set for cheap but they will need some cleanup to be as good as the factory ones 99-01
The cast manifolds that I pulled from the new engine are in great shape. They should work out fine!

Gotta love vans! And 5.0s!!

I have a 2000 e350 chateau 7.3 turbo diesel with only 74k miles on it, 3.73 limited slip disc brake rear end! We love the van
My problem is the frame and body rotted out! I’ve been looking for a good donor van for two years!

I have a 2000 e350 chateau 7.3 turbo diesel with only 74k miles on it, 3.73 limited slip disc brake rear end! We love the van
My problem is the frame and body rotted out! I’ve been looking for a good donor van for two years!
Come down here and find one. There are usually some here or sale.

I have a 3.73 rear, but without LSD. Someday I'll upgrade that. So many possible projects!

They comes up for sale now and then but I have to have the $$$ and the time to get get it as well as build it hahaha

I have a local wrecking yard looking for one for me.. almost had the perfect van 01 e250 extended with no windows and no dents no rust, sliding side door.. but they could t get the title sorted…
Next one! I would like extended and a high top of possible

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Started cleaning things up tonight. Pulled the plugs. Started cleaning off gasket surfaces. Pulled the timing cover. The water pump bolt that broke was only corroded into the timing cover. I know you’re all familiar with that. The thread in the block moved freely, so i just spun the cover off with the bolt stuck.

IMG_6655.jpeg

IMG_6654.jpeg

IMG_6653.jpeg

Back