1998 Explorer 5.0 “Restoration2021” project | Page 39 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer 5.0 “Restoration2021” project

I run the 99-01 mount and ditch that cooler every time
One failure was enough for me

ReLocating the filter would be absolute best idea, adding capacity to the system.

My buddies 2020 Chevy 1500 w a 5.3 holds 8 quarts of oil…. Is ford dudes would be happy with just 6! Hahahahq

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I run the 99-01 mount and ditch that cooler every time
One failure was enough for me

ReLocating the filter would be absolute best idea, adding capacity to the system.

My buddies 2020 Chevy 1500 w a 5.3 holds 8 quarts of oil…. Is ford dudes would be happy with just 6! Hahahahq
Off topic but has your buddy's 5.3 shown any signs of the known lifter issues on the more recent versions of the 5.3 ? ...the once bullet proof extremely long lasting 5.3... as the following post seems to indicate it's not as widespread as some make it out to be...but of course there's always two camps of views on all issues...

(Copy and paste from Chevy owner on issue...
It's important to note that there are two different "lifter issues". The one you hear about the most is the defective lifters from the early '21 models. Those affected a lot of trucks, and those are the ones that are pretty much guaranteed to break - generally within the first 20k miles. But that problem has been resolved. The second issue does not appear to be resolvable. It's the same one that has existed since the dawn of collapsible lifters, and that is simply the fact that more complicated designs are more failure prone. But this issue is not remotely as widespread as these and other forums would have you believe. I had a 2010 with the same lifters and put over 200k miles on it with no problems. My dad has a 2008 with almost 200k with no problems. Between my friends and family there are a total of 7 AFM-equipped trucks with over 100k miles on them with no lifter issues. You'll find plenty of guys on this and other Silverado/Sierra forums with 100k+ on the T1 trucks with no issues.

Bottom line is this - it can happen. Unfortunately the days of the bulletproof V8 are over. As soon as we started crippling these engines with fuel-efficiency gimmicks it was only a matter of time. Before I decided on my '21 I looked thoroughly into all the options - and what it comes down to is you must choose between either lifter issues or turbo issues if you want a new truck. So pick what you like and extend the powertrain warranty. It's the automakers that decided to saddle us all with this crap so lets keep it their problem and not ours.)

With the late Fords right now the biggest choice should be an internal or external water pump, and which direct injection system to accept. The internal WP was a terrible idea, don't buy any of those engines. The first direct injection systems are having issues with coking the intake valves, buildup which requires servicing the heads off the engine. The next generation adds an injector on the intake side, to keep the valves clean. Who knows what the next big OEM created problem will be. These forums help to spread that information.

I keep telling him to sell his chevy
It’s a 2020 Silverado 1500 4 door it has 27000 miles on it now. It has shown no signs of any issues… yet. However I have had my own experience with the displacement on demand “ engines and they are not good. Also Brett bought a 20## something Yukon for his wife, a very nice truck it is some fancy spider addition o cannot remember the name, 6” lift, custom gauges and wheels, etc etc the 5.3 lost oil pressure and after many attempts to fix it (Brett does all his own work) he is left again with no oil pressure… these nightmare stories are common with the newer 5.3 and 6.0 engines. As an Internet forum jockey I know that for every horror story there are probably 1000 trucks with zero issues… but still. So my friends checy we are talking about here was a gift, his buddy died and left him his truck. My friend already has a few ford trucks including a v8 ranger we built for him as well as a 1989 4 door f350 dually we converted to 4wd and he built a wicked cool dumping flatbed. So the Chevy is kinda “extra” I have warned him of the issues these 5.3 have and suggest he sell it. But at the same time it’s under 30k miles and that 1500 hauls a trailer and a ranger like a full one ton all while getting 24-28 mpg and hauling all of us dudes to lunch… it’s a nice truck! For now

Did a bit of pre Thanksgiving engine work. Cleaned up the bellhousing as there was surface rust from the engine sitting around. And installed the new rear main seal. As well cleaned up the oil pan gasket surface.
IMG_6773.jpeg

IMG_6774.jpeg

IMG_6775.jpeg

Good stuff, the clean up is tedious but you gotta do it.

When you get to R&Ring the engine into the bay, tell me if you think the engine mount has any extra metal that could be in the way of the "headers" near the lower part. It's basically two pieces now, and the bracket could be trimmed, but if it's not in the way as is, it's nothing. The back edge of the block and trans, is close to the frame, Ford made it too narrow there.

Good stuff, the clean up is tedious but you gotta do it.

When you get to R&Ring the engine into the bay, tell me if you think the engine mount has any extra metal that could be in the way of the "headers" near the lower part. It's basically two pieces now, and the bracket could be trimmed, but if it's not in the way as is, it's nothing. The back edge of the block and trans, is close to the frame, Ford made it too narrow there.
I'll look at that.

Really good. No copper showing. Do you have any Plastigage?

Just flipped the engine over to plastiguage the number one main and the rear coolanf ports on both heads leaked out some of this crap. Its oily and orange.

IMG_6782.jpeg

IMG_6781.jpeg

IMG_6780.jpeg

The bearings and cylinders look wonderful. Why do you think that coolant is colored that way?

The bearings and cylinders look wonderful. Why do you think that coolant is colored that way?
Could it be a failed oil cooler and the oil was mixing with water?

Could it be a failed oil cooler and the oil was mixing with water?
This engine doesn't have the oil cooler. The original one does.
The "substance" is oily, but it is orange. Not milk shaky in any way. I'm not sure. I decided to call it a night and eat some thanksgiving leftovers. I'll flip the engine over again tomorrow and take another look at the ports.

This engine doesn't have the oil cooler. The original one does.
The "substance" is oily, but it is orange. Not milk shaky in any way. I'm not sure. I decided to call it a night and eat some thanksgiving leftovers. I'll flip the engine over again tomorrow and take another look at the ports.
Honestly, I wonder if someone used Dex cool in that engine if it isn't a milky substance.

Honestly not sure yet about the color. It's more oily feeling than antifreeze. But I haven't seen anything in this engine up to this point that would have concerned me or suggested anything that would be mixing oil and coolant...

Honestly, I wonder if someone used Dex cool in that engine if it isn't a milky substance.
Well the engine was definitely sitting for some time out of a vehicle. maybe it is possible that the antifreeze evaporated the water and it's rust and Glycol. But I'm not sure at the moment.

There was no milky anything, anywhere else in this thing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would presume the odd appearance is from disassembly, any difference of anti-freeze or some oil settled in there. Actual water in the oil would not have bearings or journals like those pictures. If it's all that nice, that engine might be good for another 200k miles. That makes me hope my spare 92 Mark VII engine is like that; it has 53k and I'm going to swap it into my project Explorer for about a year. My old one has 237k, it's done, eats oil and has WP bearing noise(and one broken WP bolt from first try to R&R the WP).

A nice spare engine can be a blessing, good find there.

Back