1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L Runs rough, Stalls, transmission slipping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L Runs rough, Stalls, transmission slipping

jhreinoldjr

Reaction score
City, State
Billerica
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998, Ford Explorer XLT
This is my first post, thank you for any insight you may be able to provide. These forums keep the common laymen advised, knowledgeable and with cost savings. DIY I just picked up a 1998 Ford Explorer XLT. Was told it had a rough idle and should have the plugs, wires and coil pack replaced. Not 100% convinced on this and need concrete insight to be sure. Was told the transmission was replaced 4 months ago, 6-01-2023. About halfway home, Trany was slipping. Help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I saw a mechanic today. I described the symptoms and showed him the 11 codes I was receiving from my OBII reader. He said it was definitely my transmission that is shot and giving me all the problems. Does anyone agree with this? I would have to have it towed and after I just paid $2k for the truck, he says it's going to be around $2k to drop the Trany and have someone rebuild it. $$$$$

I saw a mechanic today. I described the symptoms and showed him the 11 codes I was receiving from my OBII reader. He said it was definitely my transmission that is shot and giving me all the problems. Does anyone agree with this? I would have to have it towed and after I just paid $2k for the truck, he says it's going to be around $2k to drop the Trany and have someone rebuild it. $$$$$
what are the codes? thats the big teller there.

sohc or ohv?

who rebuilt it? I’d ask if the warranty on the rebuild is transferable

Which engine? V8, sohc, or ohv? 4.0 L, SOHC
Miles on odometer? Approx, 186,000 miles
Sorry, not really sure on how to respond in these threads, 1st time doing this. I hope this goes through. Thank you in advance for any help anybody can proved.

I do not have a good news answer.
Based on the fact you need to have a mechanic do the work,
Time is best spent looking for another vehicle.

This model is problematic. Timing chains are probably shot, requiring a new engine.

Then you , you have a problematic transmission design to deal with.

I do not have a good news answer.
Based on the fact you need to have a mechanic do the work,
Time is best spent looking for another vehicle.

This model is problematic. Timing chains are probably shot, requiring a new engine.

Then you , you have a problematic transmission design to deal with.
I can only hope it's just the transmission and doesn't involve the engine. I only wish people would report the items they're sell ore honestly. My bad, I must live with my decision to have purchased this vehicle.

who rebuilt it? I’d ask if the warranty on the rebuild is transferable
The person who sold the vehicle, told me his mechanic rebuilt the transmission 4 months ago, no warranty was transferred to me, so I have nothing to go on, other than the seller's word. Vehicle drove fine until I was halfway home, approximately 75 miles into the trip home. This purchase was a big mistake on my part, which I must live with.

what are the codes? thats the big teller there.

sohc or ohv?
4.0L SOHC
Codes, P0706, (Transmission Range Sensor A Circuit High Input), P0743, (Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Circuit Electrical), P0750, (Shift Solenoid A Malfunction), P0755, (Shift Solenoid B Malfunction), P0760, (Shift Solenoid C Malfunction), P0765, (Shift Solenoid D Malfunction), P0141, (Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Bank1 Sensor2), P0161, (Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Bank2 Sensor2), P0171, (Bank1 System to lean), P0136, (Oxygen Sensor Circuit Bank1 Sensor 2 , see P2270 and P2271), P0174, (Bank 2 System to lean), With vehicle running I get the following codes, P0708, (Transmission Range sensor A circuit High Input), P0743, (Torque converter Clutch solenoid circuit electrical), P0750, (Shift solenoid A malfunction). Have also been informed that the catalytic converters are missing. JUST A REAL MESS. My mechanic guy now has the vehicle and will be looking into the codes and what is wrong with it. Any help others can provide would be appreciated in helping me understand what the extent of the problem might be. This is for my education as well. Thank you any and all who might be able to help.

Have mechanic make sure the 2 large connectors on firewall are tight. A bolt holds em tight, would have been removed for trans repair.

Also, check ALL! Fuses, driver side dash fuses, and under hood power box fuses

Back