• Register Today It's free!

1998 vs 1995 Tailgate

RiccoFX

Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 SportTrac Limited V8
Is it possible to fit the 1998/1999 4dr explorer tailgate on a 1995 4dr explorer?
It seems like most of the body is similar and they just refreshed the tailgate on the 1998 and up models?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they will fit, but all the electrical is different, and yes you would also have to change the tail lights in it. also, 98 and up gates had a curve to them, where 97 and down didnt. so it might look a little funny with the bumpers.....might.
also, nice to see another manitoban on here.

Bumpers also different, if you don't want the look of having 2 license plate mounting locations.

Plus, you'll have the mirrored bronze glass on the rest of your 95, and dark smoke on the 98+ liftgate.

Thanks for the replies guys, I just picked up a 1995 explorer for my wife since she wrote-off her vehicle, and the tailgate is pretty rusted out and a few other problems with it. Thought since it almost looked identical body wise, I just thought the rear end of the 98+ looks better... I'll be heading to the wreckers and I can see side by side on what I need to replace/change and see if it'll work or how goofy it'll look! :p

Yes I'm a Manitoban too! My main ride is "The Black Horse" 2007 Sport Trac V8 modded to the nuts! Just waiting for the supercharger now... :(

BTW, very nice ride vroomzoomboom!

i have close to the same question... what tailgates will fit on a 98? currently don t care if it looks kinda silly

Back