1999 Explorer Air conditioner not blowing cold | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer Air conditioner not blowing cold

efiles123

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
My 1999 Explorer AC will not blow cold air. I recently did a recharge but it seems to only blow cool for the first few minutes after the car is started. In the past I could always hear the AC compressing or clutch constantly clicking but now it doesn’t seem to click at all. I wonder if the compressor or clutch need to be replaced?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you put pressure gauges on the system?

As Rick said, you really need to check system pressure with a gauge set. If the AC is on and the outside air temperature approximately 75F, your low pressure reading should be 40 - 45 psi, high side 150 -175. You can download R134 A temperature / pressure charts. You can check your clutch several ways, with the AC "ON", disconnect the low pressure cycle switch and jumper the plug. You should hear and see the clutch pull in. DO NOT leave the jumper in, if you are low on refrigerant you will damage the compressor If the AC is "OFF", you can unplug the electrical connector at the clutch and connect 12 volts to the clutch. You can do this with the engine "Off". It is possible that the low pressure cut-off switch is bad. There is also a high pressure cut-out switch.

Thanks for the responses guys. I had pressure gauges on the system last weekend and I think the low side was about 45 and the high side was 120 I think. 8TZK- I’m gonna use that procedure you posted. Thanks

120 psi on the high side is too low, you are still low on refrigerant if that is true. Sounds like you have a leak somewhere.

Back