• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer Alternator Upgrade

Baryngyl

Reaction score
City, State
Washington state
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
I ordered a new 200 Amp alternator for my Explorer, I called and gave them the VIN to make sure I got the right one, but am not sure it is the right one once I have it here.

My old Alt has 3 places to connect wires as seen in the photos with 3 wires circled and the new Alt only has a place for 2 wires, what if anything do I do with that wire circled in GREEN?

20201025_173734-circled.jpg

20201025_173436-circled.jpg

20201025_173424-circled.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the new alternator match all three bolt holes on the bracket it sets into? If the bolts don't all line up with the bracket holes, it's definitely the wrong alternator.

There are only two alternators for the 2nd gen Explorers. All OHV V6's use a 3G alternator, while the V8 and SOHC V6 both use a 4G alternator(same one).

The 3G has the main power connector on the back side of it, where does the main power cable go on your old one?

Weird. I don’t think my 98 or 99 (SOHC and V8 respectively) have that green wire. Gotta look.

Weird. I don’t think my 98 or 99 (SOHC and V8 respectively) have that green wire. Gotta look.
Yeah, I think his engine is the OHV 4.0, thus the 3G alternator. My 99 I bought from a JY'd, and they had already sold the alternator and other parts. They gave me one from another 2nd gen, and it turned out to be the OHV model. I used that one in my 91 later, when it's alternator died.

1604074717788.png

That looks just like the connections on my '05 Sport Trac. I thought that type started in '04 on the SOHC engines. Just FYI if it helps.

Better image of the connection differences 3G or 4G Alternator
Previous thread on this subject
Well done, pictures help a lot. I also posted in that thread, same issue, the three bolt pattern is wrong between the two types(3G versus 4G).

I would prefer to have the 3G units, they have much more aftermarket support, upgrades, and the main armature is more reliable. When that goes in a 4G, it's almost the same cost to buy a new one. I wish the guts of a 3G would go into the 4G case, but I haven't looked at it at all.

Yes, it is the OHV 4.0, thought I had included that in my post.
As far as I can tell by looking it is the same mounting hole setup, I have not taken the old one off yet to try the new one as I need to make sure it will work before I go to all the trouble of taking it off to find out it will not work as this is my transportation to dialysis 3 days a week.

Does the new alternator match all three bolt holes on the bracket it sets into? If the bolts don't all line up with the bracket holes, it's definitely the wrong alternator.

There are only two alternators for the 2nd gen Explorers. All OHV V6's use a 3G alternator, while the V8 and SOHC V6 both use a 4G alternator(same one).

The 3G has the main power connector on the back side of it, where does the main power cable go on your old one?

The main power cable is the one circled in BLUE, it is a bit hard to see behind the other cables.

That 4G won't work for your OHV 4.0, check the distance between the two lower/outside bolts. It's different between both alternators. You should be able to swap it, the 4G is usually a little more expensive.

I did a quick check and it looks like the new one the holes are closer together.

Looks like I will have to get them to get me another one that does fit.

Where can I find a 200+ amp Alt that will fit, all I can seem to find are up to 130 amp?

There should be more high amp choices for the 3G Explorer alternator. I used to see them on eBay a lot, when I was hunting the 4G models. I've seen those run up to 300amps, 200 should be no trouble to find. Be careful on the brands you see, some are a lower quality. DB Electronics is a bad brand I ran into.

Here's a good source of info on alternators with dimensions.

Back