1st attempt a body work - (9 pics not explorer) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st attempt a body work - (9 pics not explorer)

Yes I know it's not an Explorer, but as a Mercury it still counts, right?

Cousin bashed her driver front fender in a third time. By now the BFH :hammer: and dent puller wouldn't work. So off the the salvage yard I go. Picked up a new fender for $30 (and a new roof cross beam for the X for $15 :D).

My grandfather used a Sharpie marker :rolleyes: to cover up the scratches the second time it really got hit. I went back the next week with sandpaper and a rattlecan.

Carnage - Fender is now creased and definetly stretched.
kt1.jpg

Old fender off and light half-@**ed coat of rust reformer sprayed on.
kt2.jpg

The old fender - salvaged the emblem, and found that it was red at one time. this was already replaced once before I got to it. :rolleyes:
kt3.jpg

Black Rustoleum Rust Reformer on the "new" fender
kt4.jpg

Primer
kt5.jpg

3 Shots of the "new" fender with brand new flame pin-stripe.
kt6.jpg

kt7.jpg

kt8.jpg

Yes, I see the dent in the new fender, I forgot to pull it out before we re-installed it so, it is what it is.

Out side of that any comments/pointers for next time? A friend with an '86 Camaro is looking to do a bit of touch up on his car just to make it road worthy.

-Andy
D.J.O.R. Netzhauptmann

nah man, looks awesome!!! just make sure whenever you do it to sand it so the primer/paint has something to cling to. main thing i've been taught (applies to everything) is the final product is a direct result of the prep work.

all in all, great job!!! you might be able to use a plunger to pull that dent out... don't laugh, i've done it before...

other than the fact that the fender looks like it is a bit high it looks good to me.

Light wet sand and a polish would make it look like new. Good work.

Back