My Body Work | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Body Work

I have been waiting on the time to do this and now that it is getting warmer i now will be able to start to do my body work. I have already removed the emblembs, wiper arm and motor, and the wiper rest. I am filling all this in hopefully in the next few days.
rear-hatch.jpg

I plan to get this painted on my rear hatch:
38.jpg

I have a few other places i need to fix. You can see the one by the tail light very well here but i need some ideas on how to get this out.
rear-dent.jpg

And for my last little bit of work i have to fix my cancer spot:
Rust.jpg

Not going to get it perfect because i am putting truckbed liner from the black trim down.
For the front end i need to get a new hood or fix this one. I had a tree get inbetween the bumper and the head light on the drivers side. I can get a new one for 75 so i can always just replace it easy. I have also put truck bed liner on my grill. I have to do the parts around the lights.
Front-end-work.jpg

The rest of the truck will get a little body work and then i am painting it this summer. I will be painting it like the tennessee state trooper explorers. Tan and black.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ill have to look into taht briwayjones. Im really not sure what ill do till i get to figure out a few options.

He is not going to share his idea thats ok. I dont care. Ill figure out a better way to do it.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

haha you could use electronic poppers and get a DEI Viper 791XV (http://www.directed.com) or updated version and possibly hook up an auxiliary controller to pop the hatch from the palm of your hand. Or you could route the mechanics of the latches to the inside. I'm assuming that's how that guy did it. I could be wrong. Maybe he did a long ass route to the front and mounted it next to his hood release?

Who knows...the possibilities are endless. IMO, I'd leave the T-handle, but pull the lock. Just seems like too much of a hassle to have to reroute your connection...

I like shaved panels. It puts mystery on what the vehicle is. I also thought it would be hilarious to badge my truck with a Nissan and SKYLINE emblem on the hatch just to mess with people.

Anyways good luck

OHH, by the way, if what I'm seeing is correct (I don't know if I have bad vision or it was the image quality) It looks like a dent behind the panel.

You have two options:

1. Cut it and weld a new panel (Not very fun and way too time consuming)

OR

2. Buy or rent a spot welder and pull the dents. Make sure it's a reliable on cause if it is a ****ty weld or too strong of a weld it can pull the tab off or rip the metal hehe.

After that I would smooth them out with plastic filler, sand, paint, polish, take pictures :)

So i got the lock out today and i have a few ideas. I am going to leave the t-handle on there. I am weilding everything else up and getting it ready for paint.

Have not go to talk to the guy that will be doing the paint work because of school.

you could always just relocate the t handle to the inside of the tailgate, or if you wanted to get more into it buy the buttons and wiring for a 01-up x because they have the 2 buttons above the license plate to pop either the door or the glass. Jus throwing some info out, not really sure if it is useful

I just had another idea. With a little ingenuity I think it would work. Shave the T-handle but not the lock. Somehow connect the gate and window linkage to the lock mechanism. To open the gate you stick the key in the lock and turn to the right. To open the window turn the lock to the left.

you could always just relocate the t handle to the inside of the tailgate, or if you wanted to get more into it buy the buttons and wiring for a 01-up x because they have the 2 buttons above the license plate to pop either the door or the glass. Jus throwing some info out, not really sure if it is useful

So does the inside of the 01 and up have electronic popers of some sort? if so i could wire them on a switch inside behind the rear passenger door and that would be sweet.

Anyone know where i can get ahold of some 01 parts?

i was looking at every-ones ideas, and the schnook that did his, and won't tell how he did it (prob paid someone to do it, and hasn't got a clue). anyways, what about an electric servo. they move left and right (like something that remote control cars use), and you could hook a switch in the dash, and route the wires into the harness at the top of your gate? that's my two cents.

I dont know if i can find one that has got the power to do the job. I like what exploder819 has come up with. That would work im just trying to track something down to figure that out.

here is a pic of the rear of an 03. The buttons are right above the license plate. one for the window and one for the door.

explorertail.jpg

so it electronicly pops the window and door?

right there is some kind of electronic popper for each one. It is seperate from the popper for the locking mech. I have never actually pulled one apart so i cannot tell you what is really inside.

Goto a junkyard and tear the rear hatch apart in a newer explorer if there are any there. Or start asking people in the 02 - 06 threads to check it out, I'm sure there are some people there looking for a reason to rip the rear hatch apart.

The solution is very simple. You just have to think out the entire process. Electronics are even optional on this project....NOT required at all!

Ryan

look close at that picture again yall,i think its photoshopped.. its fake.
look at the lisense plate.. looks kinda off angle. from the rest of the bumper

Burns....

That information has to be be de-classified.

The last time I gave out information and plans, I was robbed of my idea....and never given credit.

Ryan

Wow--
I just read this thread.
I must say--this is about the lamest thing I have seen on this forum.
I hope you can take care of all your problems on your own.

Burns--good luck with this--I know you will come up with a better way anyhow--

I will be finishing this in a few weeks. I have replaced three ring and pinions since i started this thread. Found out i had a cracked third member and didnt notice it.

Yeah i thought it was lame but i dont care. He is prob just a 12 yr old that doesnt have a life.

this is probably too late of a reply, but i've been sifting through old threads:

mold in a door handle (like your front doors) in a spot of your choice for opening the whole hatch (just cut out the whole thing from a fubar-ed door). and get a push-button window release (a-la '01 sport) for the window. all manual, and you should be able to get your power lock stuff to work with it. paint the door handle body color, and it should blend in well. i bet a newer handle (like an 01 sport) would also fit and be a little smoother. from what i can tell, from '83 on to around now, the ranger based vehicles used the same basic door handle design, it just got smoother as the years passed

look close at that picture again yall,i think its photoshopped.. its fake.

I'm actually gunna agree with that... look at the bottom left of the rear window. Notice the squared off portion of white... looks like he just put it in MS paint and made a white square to put over it...

either way, that was really lame...

Yeah it was lame but oh well. Im trying to figure out how i can just turn the handle in on the inside. It will be the same thing. Still working on it before i get any body work done.

Back