1st gen handle to 2nd gen

Glen4X4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lewistown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Ok, I called two junkyards one thats a couple mile from me (snow is too deep so I didn't go there) and the one a couple doors up, and both told me the inside door handle that opens the door from a 1st gen won't work in a second gen, and I was pretty sure that the whole mechanism was held in place the same way and worked the same way (the junkyard a couple doors up only has 1st gens), So is this true? I don't want to waste my time tearing apart something that won't work. So I took the back door, door handle out of the 96 explorer and put in my 95 driver door so I can open it from the inside. But I still need to get replacements either way.

Ok, I called two junkyards one thats a couple mile from me (snow is too deep so I didn't go there) and the one a couple doors up, and both told me the inside door handle that opens the door from a 1st gen won't work in a second gen, and I was pretty sure that the whole mechanism was held in place the same way and worked the same way (the junkyard a couple doors up only has 1st gens), So is this true? I don't want to waste my time tearing apart something that won't work. So I took the back door, door handle out of the 96 explorer and put in my 95 driver door so I can open it from the inside. But I still need to get replacements either way.

Rockauto.com shows the same number for 95 and 96.

thanks, I didn't think to even try a parts website to see if it had related part numbers, I know 95 and 96 is interchangable I put the 96 back door handle in the front of my 95 so I can open my door from the inside now, I'll have to see if 91-94 ex's have the same part numbers

Back