sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
Just like a ton of other people (I think) I've been going through interior door handles like gasoline. I just installed another junkyard one today and I noticed the old one had the yellow junkyard paint on it. I mostly pull them out of 1st gen Explorers (cause that's all we ever see at my local yard).

Anyway, is this a problem they fixed over the years? If I was to buy some $18 handles from Torrie would they last longer than 3 months? Am I too hard on my doors? :(

Who has researched this? :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I broke 3, then I replaced the outer handle and haven't broken one since--
Something wears out on the outer handle, and it doesn't push the rod all the way up,

So you're saying that something wears out and the inside door handle has to work extra hard to get the latch to open? Then it finally gives up?

Time to weld the doors shut?

There is a rod attatched to the outer handle. I think the rods have to be in their respective "home "position for the rest to work. The outer handle rod, being a little low, causes a binding in the linkage--

on the yellow clip--try adjusting the rod shorter by about 2 turns--

edit--shorter--

Bwhaaaa! You locked yourself in! :bsnicker:

stop pulling on them so hard....I know your use to yanking stuff hard, but you gotta take it easy there buddy, you could injure yourself :p:

It's always the rear doors! Meaning all those ladies I haul around are too anxious.

Lol, so you're the one taking all my door handles! Leave one or two for me, the explorer is getting some much needed work this weekend.

Cause you're selling it, huh?

I havent broken one in almost 16 years of owning explorers. I did break one of the door pull things above the handle though.

Cause you're selling it, huh?

Never! It's getting new SKF front wheel bearing hubs and lower ball joints...maybe a front sway-bar deletion. Where's the new Club625 going to be?....what's that....at Section's new garage!:D :navajo:

I have broke three between the last two years. My prob is in the latch assembly(SP). I need to replace that.

Back