1ST Gen motor swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1ST Gen motor swap

Hello,
I havent visted the site in a while, I am sorry if i am posting in the wrong forum :( Any how I am sure itll get moved if it is. I used to have a 93 EB, but had to get rid of it due to tranny problems AOD go figure. After that i bought a 79 bronco with 6inch lift 35 tires etc etc it rocked, but it also rocked my wallet for gas. Now i have a 91 Stang Gt and i am planning on swapping the motor in late summer. After i get done I will be looking for a winter/beater and i simply loved my X. So I was thinking about buying another first gen (Love the look), I figured i could get a 4x4 manual (never the aod again!) either with high miles or a blown motor for cheap. Then i could just throw a new short block in it or just rebuilt the orig engine and tranny. Any how my question is how difficult is this and whats the cost? I have time, space, and tools just not alot of cash haha thanks--- T

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

depends on where you live and what your abilities are......

I live in Maryland. I would feel comfortable pulling the old motor and installing a new one, as far as assemblying the top motor peices of the long block on the short block i dont have any experience. I do however have friends that i could call on for assitance in this matter. I also would be somewhat skeptical on puttin the motor in to the X. But again if i was given good advice I have friends i can get to help me throught this.

I'm sitting right where you want to be, 93 Limited blown motor, and I'm curious to see what kind of responses you get. We'll figure something out :chug:

I have been wanting to do this for a while now. Been doing research for a long time. I'm really waiting for the time and money to show up,if it ever does.

Here's a Link to back when I posed a similar question. There were a bunch of helpful responses.

There are also a lot of good write ups on this site. Try a few of these pages.

Chief's Write up

Dead Link Removed

Speedfreak's site

Another good write up on this site

Ranger Swap

if your going for a stock motor swap, its not that bad, infact I have 2 stock 4.0's out of a 93 that i'm trying to get rid of right now, one is semi spoken for other is up for grabs I'm also here in Maryland, you may have seen my truck roaming around the area, check out my swap thread (v8 swap) and my cell number is in there somewhere if you need any help on the project

Edit: oh my stock motor swap i did 3-4 years ago cost me around $900 for a used motor (long block w/everythign still on it) aprox time was around 20 hours total to pull and reinstall the motor

I have a 91' 4x4 (4L), manual tranny that I'm looking to do a full conversion to. First I'd like to get the SAS and Spring over out of the way but then I want to follow it up with a powertrain swap. (perhaps a 5.0.. but I've been even looking into potential diesel options...). My rig is pretty sad right now.. It's fallin apart cosmetically but it runs well (accept for the leaking rear main) and is begging me for an overhaul. So, if there is anymore information on this topic, please post it up...

:bounce:

FYI the 93 uses the a4ld. I have swapped out that tranny too damn many times

I will let you know how it goes, cause I am attempting this right now. As a matter of fact I just pulled the old motor about an hour ago, from a 91 Sport. Hoping to have it running this weekend, but who knows. Time is in very short supply and I am doing it myself with no help. Makes it a little more interesting.

Nick

Back