1st gen transfer case/transmission rearend question(s) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st gen transfer case/transmission rearend question(s)

Currency

Reaction score
City, State
Bedford Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4
ok so my rebuilt T/C shift motor stopped working on me and I tore it apart to see what was up again. Nothing was out of place so I put it back together just to go back to having a 2wd explorer :(

So today I decided to pull it off and manually shift my T/C into 4high. This worked for five minutes maybe less. I was just about to start climbing a hill and I never had it over 10MPH during this time. Then I here a loud pop from the rear end and couldn't go anywhere :rolleyes:

I tried every gear and park was a no go as gears would grind :(
So I shut if off in neutral and then put it in park. crawled under it after changing my jacket ;)
then shifted it back into 2wd. I noticed it took some force to get it out of 2wd and into 4high but after that it would just turn up to 4low with ease. I fear for the worse :(

I'm afraid of it snowing before next month and not being able to get around to pickup my son or drop him off. I have to do that at the police department from now on because of the six on three incident tonight that the police had to come split up. My two brothers and me Vs her brother, Ex, female friend ;) , her and other people I don't even know.

This all makes me want to move and/or sell my explorer and foot it everywhere in freezing temps with my son. Which is not about to happen.

Thanks for any and all helpful advice about my explorer issues. My lawyer is already working on the other tidbit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The modular is good. shift motor is bad and was removed in order to manually shift into and out of 4high/4low. the way it turns really easy from 4high to 4low I don't think is normal. 4high did work fine for a few minutes with both auto hubs working fine until Mr. T/C decided to end my attempted fun adventure :(

I read somewhere that it would click into 2high/4high/4low and stay there. that it should be hard to turn it by hand. Which I can do from 4high to 4low. I think something is broken :(

Anyone ever try this?

Maybe I popped my L/S diff in the rear, That could have been the pop I heard :(

I would like to figure this out because it's bugging me. Ever try to remember something and not be able to and it bug you until you remembered it? that's how I feel right now.

But I have a feeling someone may try so hurt my ex. I may have to park it in my buddies pole barn until things in my neighborhood claim's down a lot. Hope the factory alarm wakes me up so I can catch them and beat anyone who even looks at her wrong. :mad:

Edit: I was off the road and in gravel when I shifted it into 4high. Was in dirt/mud when it slipped out. :(

I'm off to search for a paid internship which I won't find unless it includes nine hours of driving plus eight hours of work per day :(

Doubt your diff failed.. Probably the strongest part on your explorer.

Doubt your diff failed.. Probably the strongest part on your explorer.

Yeah it's still good. If not I found a replacement from a 94 EB at the junk yard ;)

Anyone else have any thoughts/comments/suggestions? If not I'll :mattmoon: :D

Back