• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2 1/2 ton axles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

sn0border88

Master Apprentice
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Souderton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
no you wont be, you said axle with without rim tire width is 79 1/2, well a fullsixe d44/60 is 66". Im at 84 which is 18 wider than the axle alone and thats with 8" rims. Throw on 10 rims and 16" tires (im on 12.5 wides) and your over 90, prolly close to 100. Have fun finding a trailer.

Burns

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
I will have to get a hold of the rock crawler that i know of and see how wide his is....then we will have a good estimate.... and i dont think it is that wide...i have rode with it about twice

Burns

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
Well this project has been put on the brakes for now.....I am in a legal battle right now so as soon as that clears up ill be ready to get started.....

'97 V8

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
ft. knox ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 mounty 5.0 4x4 baby!!
Well this project has been put on the brakes for now.....I am in a legal battle right now so as soon as that clears up ill be ready to get started.....

who did you piss off?

Mud Bug 94

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bloomingdale, N J
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT-367k miles
good old red brick though the window trick?

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Will it be ready.. for Tellico?

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Oh a rear steer setup? Well thats just fancy!! You'll be the only one in the group with rear steer!
I'd start a project calendar cauz the logistics for this swap is probably going to be huge and overwhelming to keep track of.

Burns

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
Yup i want to be done by middle of august.....

I already got a ton of parts listed up and the supplyers from when i started looking this up when i started this thread. I like to be planned out.

Already got a motor tranny tcase but im not sure ill go that way yet

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Fantastic!!

Oh and take plenty of pics at Thaven!

JMan689

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Downers Grove, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'14 Focus ST
So this is the reason you wanted a shell eh?

Vozar

Reaction score
City, State
Murfreesboro,Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
94,98 & 03 explorer
I thought u were building a buggy burns????:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.