2-3 shift flair? Few quick repair Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2-3 shift flair? Few quick repair Questions

Joshman503

Reaction score
City, State
Salem, Or
ive been readin around on how to fix it and im still lost with all the threads so here is my question.

Can it be fixed by the purchase of a shift kit?
-If so is that all needed? what else might i need?

The reason to ask is i may be purchasing a 96 Ranger owner says that it has this problem that he described to me and sounds like the flair rev funny 2-3rd.

Just wanna know if its worth gettin and if i can fix it relativly easy.

Detailed instructions WOULD BE GREAT! have yet to find a step by step. sorry but most of the posts i have read are hard to understand and messy.

Thanks for the Help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had the same problem with my 96 X for more than a year now and I know what you mean by confusing threads. I never got a straight answer either so what I'm going to do is call around to a few transmission shops and ask "Do you know anything about the 2-3 flare problem with an Explorer?" If they can explain what it is they'll be the one I take it to. If the shop hasn't a clue what I'm talking about I'll call the next place.

Here is the summary

This is the "grand daddy" thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140987

It's long but worth it.

This is what it says....

Ford has issued a TSB. You can just implement the TSB to address the flare.

There are a couple of kits available (not just shift kits per se) from Superior AND the Transgo that address the flare.

Finally the other fix is to purchase a reconditioned valve body from Central Valve Bodies. Ask for the Explorer forum discount. This is the route I went. Works great. No more flare.

Here is the thread that explains what is causing the flare

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174202

Good luck and good reading.

Doug

Doug Fraser, thanks for the reply, sorry I took so long to respond. By looking back at the links you attached to other forums, seems like its a 5r55e transmission problem. According to one of the links, 5r55e transmissions was 1998 - on and 4r44e was 1995 - on. My X is a 1996 XLT. Does it have the 4r44e transmission, and if so, can my 2-3 flare problem be fixed as discribed for the 5r55e transmission?

A flare is basically a sudden loss of hydraulic pressure, sticking valve/spool, leaking servo piston causing a slow band engagement, slipping band which needs an adjustment or a combination of these things. To start, get a few Sonnax parts such as end plugs with O rings, boost valve with O rings, a new EPC solenoid, TransTec Viton D ring kit for the low/reverse servo, new overdrive, and intermediate servo pistons, and an EPC solenoid. A new computer tune should help too. Some shift kits address this issue with updated springs, hockey pucks with enlarged openings, and drilled holes in the separator plate.

So if i go the shift kit route this will help? those to companies named above make them? And thanks for the help

Back