2-button Remote system repairs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2-button Remote system repairs

Conniption

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
1995 Explorer with 2 button remote. No keyless entry pad. This remote has been described by some as a dealer added option although I purchased a spare fob from the dealer many years ago and he programmed it at no charge by using the valet button.

Now none of my remotes (one recently purchased) will work. New battery in each.

I can enter programming mode using the valet button, but none of my remotes will activate or complete the programming sequence. Seems as if the "receiver" within the vehicle is not working.

Cannot find anything in my owner's manual nor Haynes. Is there a component that needs to be repaired? Vehicle runs fine, just have to open doors with a key and push the valet button prior to starting.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure the following applies to your '95 but to enter programming mode on my 2000, I turn the key from off to on 5x .. ending in the on position, the locks activate and then you press a button on your new fobs.

It's 5 or 8 times, can't remember exactly.

Thanks. The vehicle enters programming mode (door locks and siren cycle three times), but the remotes do not sync or "program." It could be they are already programmed and the system simply is not working. I'm trying to figure out what and where the receiver is that should be activated by the remote.

Somebody said there is a "limit" you can hit when programming new things.. over time the limit may be hit, some1 else must know more about this.

While I doubt it's the problem, I sometimes find that remotes with the silicone rubber buttons leach out silicone oil and it fouls the contacts. Normally I'd assume that happens one remote control at a time but if they're all old then they've all had time to leach oil out of the rubber.

To fix that I disassemble them, then the PCB contact pads are wiped with a dry paper towel and the rubber button pad scrubbed with hot water, strong detergent, and a toothbrush.

Back