2 inch lift on 91 4x4

FourXFred

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 EB
does anyone know where i can get a 2 inch suspension lift for a 91 explorer 4x4 auto, 4 door? i just got my new set of 31's and am now looking to improve ground clearance a little bit. i drive a lot on the highway and dont want to go any bigger that 2 inch. Thanks for any info ---fred

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do a search for shackles and spacers, or if you want to spend more money a James Duff lift.

Superlift also offers a 2 inch suspension lift

Ryan

I'd suggest goin with the James Duff 2.5" if you have the money, I've heard it's a very nice kit.

If ground clearance is what you are after, you need bigger tires. The only thing a lift does for ground claerance is give you the ability to use bigger tires. As mentioned above, spacers and shackles or 2" body lift can be done. Both are relatively easy to install and the cheapest way to go to fit 31's without any rubbing(if it doesn't fit right now).

Good luck.

4wheel parts wholesalers = PA body lift
4wheelparts wholesalers= war153 shackles
ford= f-150 spacers

A lift (Suspension) will give you more ground clearance from the frame and stuff, and will improve approach/departure angles if I remember correctly, the only thing that will give true ground clearance is tires as they are the only thing that determines how high off the ground your axles are.

Anyway Im in the process of installing the Spacers and Shackles onto my 91 4 door. The rear is done and I got almost exactly 2" from that. Going to do the front early next week then stuff some 32s in there.

Rancho, James Duff and I think Superlift all make 2 - 2.5" lifts. I think the James duff runs around $450 or so and I would bet the other two are pretty comparable. You can get a set of shackles for around $50 and the spacers for around $40, tack on another $70 - $150 for an alignment and your set.

Hope that helps Ill stop rambling now :)

-Matt

Where did you get the shackels and spacers? also, superlift doesnt offer a 2 inch kit on their web site. Just 4 and 5.5 inch kits. ive allready got 31 inch tires and they dont rub. also, i dont need more performance, because around here their isnt anything besides mud, so articulation is not really a concern. I just want clearance under the rocker panels. Thanks.

Van I. already posted where to get the shackles and spacers: 4wheelparts and Ford respectively. And these are a suspension lift, so they'll lift everything above the axles, including the rocker panels. Again, it is recommended you get an alignment afterwards.

Hey,

Lots of places carry the shackles, including 4wheelparts and desert rat. Most places you have to call to order them as they are not listed on their website.

On the coil spacers a Ford dealer or www.fordpartsnetwork.com are your two choices.

I bought my Shackles and Spacers from another member on the board so thats another option.

-Matt

I meant Skyjacker not super lift, for that 2 inch lift.

Ryan

Lift, lift

With my 91 with 31" tires, stock (no lift) I've never had a problem, even carrying heavy loads 4x4ing. I think most of these posts are prophetical. A 2" body lift and James Duff 2.5" sus. lift is practical not that expensive. Many people speak highly of JD's 2.5" lift. It seems to me the cost effective and least problematic of choices, unless you want higher lift of course. I'm planning on such a setup.

Either way you go, plan on camber bushings. I found them at car quest for 16.00's a side, best price I could find.

Back