2" Skyjacker coils drop brack vs. camber bushings | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2" Skyjacker coils drop brack vs. camber bushings

bennyhana20

Reaction score
City, State
Amherst, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 explorer xlt
I installed the 2" skyjacker front coils, and rear add a leafs. I have seen many people installing new camber shims for the offset balljoints, i have not read of anyone using drop brackets for the front axle arms. i found a set of drop brackets with adjustable studs for roughly $90. (I am currently trying to figure out where i saw them for sale.. my friends magazine..) Adjustable camber bushings are roughly $65-70 for both sides. My logic is telling me the drop brackets would be a better choice, less strain on the balljoints, generally a more natural fix.. I am wondering if i can install the drop brackets without removing the coils and doing too much dismantling.. (also will this involve any welding?) In regards to the camber shims, i have read of people pulling these without taking the ball joints off, one thread said i could simply remove bolt on top of balljoint and hammer out shim/ hammer in new shim.. NAPA said this would be problematic or impossible.. Any info would be great..
(also if anyone purchased drop brackets and can guide me to a dealer that would be cool..)
92 xlt i have offset balljoints at 1 degree / 30mm - with A stamped on top..

Putting in drop brackets would be a LOT more work than putting in shims. From what I've heard, getting the rivets out of the arms is a major pain. You're gonna need an alignment after the lift, and unless you know how to align, you might as well just buy some shims and have the sho that's doing the alignment put them in. I got the proper shims from RockAuto.com for about 40 bucks.

Back