• Register Today It's free!

2 starters in 3 months???? WTF

Sonicxtacy02

Reaction score
City, State
Woodbridge, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer 2wd
Today i was out and tried to start my 92 EB. Got the same "click click" i had three months ago when i replaced starter solenoid, relay, cables, n finally the starter. The starter ended up being the culprit then, and after testing both the solenoid and cables. I was able to get under the truck and bang on the starter in order to drive it home, but now it not even that is working. Is it possible i'm looking at my SECOND starter replacement in 3 months??? Truck drives fine other than this annoying problem. HELP!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what brand are the parts yer using?

RFR2212 said:
what brand are the parts yer using?

Carquest starter/relay assembly
Autozone solenoid and cables

You sure the battery is ok?

Lights, radio, etc arent dimming at all, and when i had it started it ran just like normal. Alternator is new as well. The vehicle only had 65K on it.

all the cables new? pos to solenoid, pos to starter, starter ground, battery ground?

check the starter ground, on some cars it is grounded through the engine block itself so ensure that all your engine ground straps are connected.

Also you need top check that you are getting close to 12v at the starter relay (red with blue wire) when the key is turned to the start position.

If you have an aftermarket alarm you might check the relay and wiring job they did in the steering column.

Next step is to check the battery cables.

I had the same problem in my old Cavalier. I replaced 4 starters in under a year. The culprit was finally found to be the flywheel. Luckily I only paid for the first starter, the rest were replaced under warranty.

Ok i worked on it some more this morning. To answer your question the ground wire was NOT replaced however i ran voltage checks and everything is up to spec. I did the test where you connect a jumper cable to each solenoid post and the vehicle did not start. Last time i had this problem i remember it starting while doing this test. Come to think of it last time the problem turned out to be the relay NOT the starter, but i bought the starter with relay attached to save time.

Is it possible that this is ignition switch related? I've never had one go bad so i dont know if i would get the same "click click" and nothing more. I kinda figure my switch is starting to give out. Hell you can start the car without a key at this point.

ShadowA2J said:
I had the same problem in my old Cavalier. I replaced 4 starters in under a year. The culprit was finally found to be the flywheel. Luckily I only paid for the first starter, the rest were replaced under warranty.

I have an automatic. No flywheel correct? Would else could be causing the starter motor to prematurely fail?

Sonicxtacy02 said:
I have an automatic. No flywheel correct? Would else could be causing the starter motor to prematurely fail?

Automatics have flywheels too. The flywheel is what the gear in the starter engages to turn the engine.

Is the clicking sound coming from the selenoid or relay on your side wall or is it coming from the starter itself?

If it is not coming from the starter itself then try touching a jumper directly from the battery to the lead on the starter - bypassing the relay. If the starter at least turns at that point then you need to look at the starter relay.

superchef said:
Automatics have flywheels too. The flywheel is what the gear in the starter engages to turn the engine.

Is the clicking sound coming from the selenoid or relay on your side wall or is it coming from the starter itself?

If it is not coming from the starter itself then try touching a jumper directly from the battery to the lead on the starter - bypassing the relay. If the starter at least turns at that point then you need to look at the starter relay.

The sound is either coming from the starter or the relay right on top of it. I know the solenoid is good cause i replaced it again. It doesnt seem to be turning at all when i jumper it. I think i'll remove the starter tonight when i get home and benchmark it before i deem it ruined :shoot:

I think your on the right track with pulling the starter. Since you first had this problem I had to replace the rebuilt starter that I had replaced in my 96 bronco about 15 months ago. A lot longer than 4 months, but I don't use that vehicle that much and at first I thought it must be something else. I got another one after checking connections and testing it off the battery (wouldn't turn) and as soon as the new (rebuilt) one was installed it was fine. Luckily it had a liftime warranty. I'm thinking that it would be the same type of starter as yours. Maybe there are just a lot of low quality rebuilds being sold out there. I can't remember the brand name of the rebuild right now. Was your starter a rebuilt one? If I had to pay for another one, I think I would buy new. Good Luck.

If you can start the car without the key, or by jumping the starter solenoid with the key "on", then it's the ignition switch, tranny lockout, or alarm.

Well i cant do it not because of the current problem, but normally i can start it without the key by just turning the the handle shapped thing onthe keyhole. As said earlier the solenoid jumping technique isnt working for me.

Sonicxtacy02 said:
The sound is either coming from the starter or the relay right on top of it. I know the solenoid is good cause i replaced it again. It doesnt seem to be turning at all when i jumper it. I think i'll remove the starter tonight when i get home and benchmark it before i deem it ruined :shoot:

Have you crawled under the truck and touched power directly to the starter are are you just jumping the selenoid? If you are just jumping the selenoid - I would suggest getting right under the truck and touching power directly from the pos terminal on the battery to the lead on the starter itself.(same as a quick bench test without pulling the starter right out)

I havent done it direct connect. Not quite sure if my jumper cable will reach (12 foot) but i'll try tonight and post results.

DID you check for 12 volts at the starter solenoid feed wire (red with blue stripe) when the key is turned to the start position?

410Fortune said:
DID you check for 12 volts at the starter solenoid feed wire (red with blue stripe) when the key is turned to the start position?

Have not, i'll check that tonight. I'm not totally sure how to use this multimeter i have but i think i have it on the right setting to test correctly. Will post results.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok i did some more testing and got some interesting results

Battery with ALL off- 14.6v
Battery with lights/ignition on- RIGHT at 12v
Solenoid feed wire all off- 0v
Solenoid feed wire ignition on- 5v

Now according to www.mechanicmatt.com/index.php?ServicePage=StarterRelay , such a low voltage from the solenoid feed would indicate a faulty ignition switch and/or fuses. The only fuse i know to check is the ignition fuse under the hood which was good. Are there any fuses on the kickpanel that could have an effect on this? I dont have the owners manual so i dont know what fuse is what in there.

I wasnt able to do direct connect because its raining pretty bad here, but hopefully i found the problem in the ignition switch.

Thanks for all ur help so far guys, i finally feel l like i'm getting somewhere :D

Back