• Register Today It's free!

20 inch fairly rough ride

harbor1

Reaction score
City, State
Gig Harbor Wa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer Limited
You owner's that are changing to a smaller rim with more rubber between rim and the road for winter do you see a better ride than with 20 inch rims with lower profile tire. I drove a XLT with the 18 inch rims I am sure it had a better ride than the limited with the 20 inch rims that I bought. Just curious
what you have noticed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't say that I notice any discernible difference between my 17" winter Blizzacks or the 20" Hankooks.

You owner's that are changing to a smaller rim with more rubber between rim and the road for winter do you see a better ride than with 20 inch rims with lower profile tire. I drove a XLT with the 18 inch rims I am sure it had a better ride than the limited with the 20 inch rims that I bought. Just curious
what you have noticed.

Much better. I bought the XLT specifically for the 18s and to avoid all the unnecessary gadgets. I have low profiles on my car, and it's a world of pot hole bent rims, rough rides, and balancing (vibration) issues.

Like HughCares, I run 17" in the Winter and then 20's when it warms up. I can't really say I notice a great difference between the two. The 17's may give a slightly smoother (softer) ride but then since they are Winter tires, the rubber compound is softer than an all-season tire. I actually never even thought about it until I read this thread so obviously it isn't that noticeable. Replacing the Winter wheels on the 28th.

Peter

17 vs 20 inch,,

hmm less sidewall, and no suspension adjustment, has to have a rougher ride due to lack of sidewall on the tire,,

that was easy,,

my 35x12.5x15's would be like a cloud ride to you guys,

I have the 18's and I'm very happy with the ride. A friend of mine had the 20's on his ex and said his ride was rough. Also pot holes here in NY City will eat those 20's up! If your in a city with good roads, no snow and salt in winter, I would imagine it wouldn't be so bad....

17 vs 20 inch,,

hmm less sidewall, and no suspension adjustment, has to have a rougher ride due to lack of sidewall on the tire,,

that was easy,,

my 35x12.5x15's would be like a cloud ride to you guys,

Yeahhhh, no. I have driven both the 17's and the 20's for over 2 years now. No real difference. As Peter said. The 17's are louder for me as they are winter and have a more aggresive tread on them. But that's just experience talking on the vehicle we are talking about

Having the proper tires pressures plays a big role in this, too. I'd suggest if you can decern a difference between an 18" wheel and a 20" wheel, the PSI air spec's were slightly off spec (ie- the 20" were over inflated).

IIRC, the Ford spec on the 20" is 35 PSI on all four corners. On a low profile tire, 1 PSI difference can and will (for me) make a pretty big difference.

I really can't tell. Maybe I'm PSI challenged. This thing would run great on stone tires. LOL

Back