• Register Today It's free!

2000 EB "Snapping Door Hinge"

Cosmotime

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie Bauer
Is there is simple method to remedy a driver's side door hinge that makes a snapping sound when you open or close the door?

I scanned the postings but didn't see any - forgive me if I overlooked it.

The culpurt is the round rubber bumper on the bottom hinge that is designed to hold the door open. The hinge has a spring loaded flat stricker plate. The rubber bumper has flattened on several sides and if a flat side is facing the stricker it makes a terrific metalic "snap."

The dealer said that they would have to remove the door and replace the hinges - a procedure that they wouldn't necessarly recommend due to risk of the door not fitting as tightly as it does now.

Thanks,

Cosmotime
Denver, CO.
(new member as of today)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I posted a question like this a while ago, and didn't get any responses. I have the same problem on both of my front doors. I hope someone knows something about it!

Is there is simple method to remedy a driver's side door hinge that makes a snapping sound when you open or close the door?

I scanned the postings but didn't see any - forgive me if I overlooked it.

The culpurt is the round rubber bumper on the bottom hinge that is designed to hold the door open. The hinge has a spring loaded flat stricker plate. The rubber bumper has flattened on several sides and if a flat side is facing the stricker it makes a terrific metalic "snap."

The dealer said that they would have to remove the door and replace the hinges - a procedure that they wouldn't necessarly recommend due to risk of the door not fitting as tightly as it does now.

Thanks,

Cosmotime
Denver, CO.
(new member as of today)

I fixed mine by simply rotating that "rubber bumper" about 45 degrees, where there wasn't a flat spot coming into contact with the spring load that it pushes against. That and lots of lithium grease!

Let's kick this around again because I can't imagine someone has not come up with a solution. If I turn the bushing on mine, it lasts for one opening and is clicking again. I guess I could ignore it and let the noise join my tinnitus music, but i prefer not to.

I found 3 other threads with no answer.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167273&highlight=door+hinge
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138307&highlight=door+hinge
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138898&highlight=door+hinge

Yeah i have the same problem but I have also been told the only way to fix the problem is to replace the entire hinge, which is really expensive and IMO not worth it.... it is annoying though.

If you're looking for the round rubber thing, look up "Explorer door hinge" on eBay, and scroll down. $17.00 for a roller and a pin- there are about 5,000 listings as they're on every Ford car since like 1980. :D

If you're looking for the round rubber thing, look up "Explorer door hinge" on eBay, and scroll down. $17.00 for a roller and a pin- there are about 5,000 listings as they're on every Ford car since like 1980. :D

Ok thanks Joe! I might do that.

Thanks Joe. The LMC link is worth query. And yes, i would talk to them because the picture shows the passenger door.

Ya, it says 2 required, but they don't list a separate part number for the other side.

...and I love eBay- rather than list one part with all of the applications, list it 5,000 times. It's like bulbs- do you really need to list 100 listings of the same headlight bulb? Really? :D

I did the fix that I had described in my earlier post on this thread. It worked temporarily, so I then took a punch and drove out the center pin from a roller on a REAR door which are in much better shape because of less use than the driver's door. I swapped them out. Works fine. I'm also going to try cutting out a piece of wooden dowel the same diameter as the original roller drill a hole in the center and see if that works as a new roller. I'm going to try a hardwood dowel which may be able to take the abuse. Maybe someone can think of an alternative material?

Back