TSB Search for 2000 Explorer headlights stay on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TSB Search for 2000 Explorer headlights stay on

LJohn

Reaction score
City, State
Piscataway, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have a stock 2000 Explorer with autolamps where the headlights stay on unless a battery terminal is disconnected.

The problem seems similar to many that I have seen in this forum and elsewhere on the internet, but it has not matched any I've seen so far.

I've found that a TSB exists which describes the problem, but I have been unable to obtain a copy of it. The TSB number 15564 information is:

TSB data for: 2000 FORD EXPLORER
Bulletin Number: 15564
Sequence Number: 630100
Date: 20020101
Component Name: 121000 EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS
Summary:
SOME 4 DOOR VEHICLES WITH THE AUTOLAMP FEATURE MAY EXHIBIT A
CONDITION OF THE HEADLAMPS STAYING ON ALL THE TIME *TT

Does anyone have access to this TSB? I have never seen it mentioned in any of the "lights stay on" problems for this vehicle.

All fuses check OK.

Initial troubleshooting shows that the autolamp relays are keeping the headlights and parking lights on. Disconnecting the connector on the mirror has no effect. With the ignition switch off, the autolamp relays (headlight relay, parking lights relay, etc.) are normally energized by bringing the common wire connecting these relays close to ground. It should be around 12 VDC to keep the headlights off.

The voltage on that line is not constant, but seems to run around 3 or 3-1/2 volts, which is just about low enough to turn the relays on, which is turning on the headlights.

Any help finding the TSB or in solving the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your truck has drl's look for the module,,somewhere in front of the drivers front wheel,,and disconect it. Solved my issue with lights staying lit on 99 ex sport.

If your truck has drl's look for the module,,somewhere in front of the drivers front wheel,,and disconect it. Solved my issue with lights staying lit on 99 ex sport.
Thanks for the response, but unfortunately this one doesn't have the daytime running lights. Any other thoughts?

The suggested link, "http://ri.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LE...F5xdPkJAnfN_4-", didn't work.

Thanks for the suggested link - I have not tried it, but when I do I get the message
"Yahoo! - Help - You don't have permission to access this URL on this server."

Any suggestions as to if the link is correct or how to access the indicated site?

Thanks for the assistance.

The suggested link, "http://ri.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LE...F5xdPkJAnfN_4-", didn't work.

Thanks for the suggested link - I have not tried it, but when I do I get the message
"Yahoo! - Help - You don't have permission to access this URL on this server."

Any suggestions as to if the link is correct or how to access the indicated site?

Thanks for the assistance.

humpf, it worked yesterday when i posted it... ? just Google "2000 explorer TSB" that should bring up multiple TSB links.

TSB #15564 / Special Service Bulletin #15564

This is just an additional note to this request for help with Ford TSB 15564. The location that referred my to TSB #15564 should have indicated that it was Ford Special Service Message #15564 , which is not located when searching for TSB 15564.

If anyone has a copy or any information on locating this Special Service Message #15564 , please let me know. Thanks.

LJohn

Back