• Register Today It's free!

2000 explorer 4.0 OHV EGR tube?

Friborage

Reaction score
City, State
Hazleton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0L
I was doing valve cover gaskets and the EGR tube came clean off. We're talking about the tube from the valve to the exhaust manifold. I guess it was rotted and the movement from unbolting the tube to the intake just broke it.

I'm having a hell of a time finding one, though. All I can find online and in parts stores are sohc ones and v8 ones, I need the 4.0 OHV one. Is this from the dealer only?

Anyone know where I can get one quick?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, I'll probably just spend the extra few bucks and get it from the dealer, it's not much more and they can have it next day.

In the mean time, I want to put the rest of it back together and bleed the cooling system. Would it be safe to block the EGR intake pipe, so I don't have a vac leak leave that exhaust leak open on the manifold for now, and run it just to bleed the air out of the cooling system?

I know it's safe on my car, people delete the whole EGR system as a mod, but explorer people seem to act like it's more important for these motors. Don't wanna blow something up.

Okay, then let me ask this.

If there is no vacuum to the EGR valve, say I pulled off the vacuum connection.

Is the valve then open, or closed, when it loses it's vacuum control? I'd assume it's closed with no vacuum, and the vacuum opens it?

If that's the case, I can just bolt up the valve to the pipe going to the intake, and that'll atleast seal my vacuum leak from the intake manifold. I'll still have the exhaust leak from the broken pipe, but I can live with that long enough to bleed the cooling system.

The EGR valve is normally closed with no vacuum applied,
so you can do what you described without harm. It might
trigger an EGR related code, but that's easily resolved.

Back