2000 Ford Explorer Issues: Rear Wiper/Radio/Recall | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Ford Explorer Issues: Rear Wiper/Radio/Recall

MatthewH12

Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Explorer Limtd V8 AWD
I noticed a few other recent issues (I hope this is the last, heh...)

The rear wiper has a new wiper blade installed, but 95% of the time, when you turn the switch you hear a "Thump Thump", so I know the motor works, but it doesn't swipe the window. Other times it will. I'm thinking the wiper blade is getting stuck in the grove between the window & door, and i'm hoping its an easy fix. I did notice the arm, where it comes through the door is not coming out straight, but at a slight angle (it does "push" back to the proper location), so Im wondering if a support screw has come loose?

I also noticed the radio (it's the MACH audio system (AM/FM/Cass/In Dash CD w/ 6Disc Changer in arm rest) is beginning to experience the "Fade" issue, im hoping this is also an easy fix. I read on ebay there are people who will replace the display board for like $65.

Also, how do I check for the orange recall thing in the engine, im not sure what it's called. I saw an orange circular device with a wire plugged into the top of it, that looked like the pictures but I want to be sure.

Having just bought it used and being more technologically inclined then I am mechanically, I am hoping theres easy fixes to these issues that dont cost a lot of money, as I'm beginning to think I bought a "bad" used Explorer.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

EDIT: I am thinking about doing this for the radio:
http://home.comcast.net/~pioneer_dualmedia/index.html
Anybody had any problems with them?

--Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same issue with my rear wiper, but i havent taken the time to diagnose what is wrong with it. I have not had the fade problem, but I thought it only infected older models. The orange recall that you are referring to, I believe, is the in-line fuse Cruise Control Recall. Without the recall there is a change of a fire caused by the cruise control. Fires can happen whether the vehicle is off or on.

I have the same issue with my rear wiper, but i havent taken the time to diagnose what is wrong with it. I have not had the fade problem, but I thought it only infected older models. The orange recall that you are referring to, I believe, is the in-line fuse Cruise Control Recall. Without the recall there is a change of a fire caused by the cruise control. Fires can happen whether the vehicle is off or on.

How do I know if the module has been replaced or not?

If it were done by a Ford garage (most likely) you could call any Ford dealership, provide your VIN, and check to see if it has been performed on your vehicle.

If it were done by a Ford garage (most likely) you could call any Ford dealership, provide your VIN, and check to see if it has been performed on your vehicle.

It was purchased from a Ford dealership, so would they HAVE to fix it before they can resell it?

For the wiper, when it makes the clunk but doesn't move, get out and physically look at the blade and see if it's caught. If the arm is twisted or the ramp or arm are worn, it can cause the blade to get caught on the edge of the glass, just like you mentioned. It's also possible that the motor is on the verge of failure, just mot moving it far enough. Without being there to see it, I really can't say.

The speed control deactivation switch may or may not have been replaced/serviced. There is a nationwide shortage of parts. The best thing to do would be to call the dealership and give them your VIN. They can run it through the system and see if it's one of the affected vehicles that has been recalled, and if so, whether or not the part has been serviced.

For the stereo, call or e-mail Trevor at www.pacificaudiotech.com. For $65, he'll fix the board, give it a tune-up, and send it back in a day or three. I've been quite happy since he fixed mine about three years ago. Haven't had a problem since!

-Joe

For the wiper, when it makes the clunk but doesn't move, get out and physically look at the blade and see if it's caught. If the arm is twisted or the ramp or arm are worn, it can cause the blade to get caught on the edge of the glass, just like you mentioned. It's also possible that the motor is on the verge of failure, just mot moving it far enough. Without being there to see it, I really can't say.
-Joe

EDIT: I went out and looked at it, and when you turn it on, the bar hops like 2-3 inches, but not even far enough to hit the grove of the window. Does that mean it's the motor?

Few more questions:

First, how hard is it to replace the seat switches?
The drivers side lumbar-air switch doesn't work, nor does the passenger's side heated seat switch (I believe i fixed the heat switch by removing the cover, and wiping away some dirt (The yellow light turns on now, and the seat seems to warm up, but I didn't leave it on very long, maybe 3 or so minutes) The lumbar air switch I know is bad.

Also just found out, drivers side rear door handle (inside) is broken off, im guessing somebody had the child safety switch on, didn't realize it, and broken the handle trying to get out. Is this hard to replace?

and third, I believe the airbag light is giving me a code for 3-5 or 3-6, what do these mean?

Thanks very much!
--Matt

Rear wiper issue

I had the same problem on my old 98 xlt, the wiper would not wipr the whole window, missing a large chunk and noisy when parking in the holder, I removed the rear plastic panel completly and had a look- I found that the motor and linkage is held on to the frame with a rubber mounts, mine were soft and breaking up resulting in a lot of play............I could move the wiper pivot point out by about an inch by pulling on it!
All I did was replace the mounts, you have to order tham from Frauds(Ford), it took nearly 2 weeks to get, then just swap out the old rubber for the new.
After the fix my wipers made good contact the whole time and it parked properly and was a lot more pleasant to live with noise wise.

Took it to Meineke to replace the serpentein belt, and they said the wiper was most likely the motor (as you guys agreed), and that the airbag light would require replacing a $350 harness, thats not worth it as it does not affect the airbags function in any way, is this true, or is it the resistor/yellow cap thing?

Also, do you guys have any other help/tips/suggestions?

Thanks!

Hey Matt,

I had the airbag light blinking out the same code on my 2000 XLT - it turned out that the sensor under the passenger front seat had a crappy connection at the harness. It's right at the back of the seat and it senses if there is a passenger so it knows if it should deploy both airbags in a crash. If you or anyone else sits in the seat and forcibly slides the seat all the way back it gets pulled tight and partially unplugs. try messing around with that before you go nuts with fuses, etc...

For what it's worth, my rear wiper does the same hopping thing (when it even works at all). Overall it works about 10% of the time when I actually bother trying to turn it on.

Same issue with my rear wiper-I just take it out of the cradle when I go out the the truck and it is raining...seems to work fine then.

Wiper problems

when the wiper get stuck between the window and the body, your going to have to bend the arm just right to fix that. Its more of a twist that a bend. Caution bendinng can cause the wiper to lean away from the glass.

rear wiper problems

I have an other expoer with the rear wiper that hardly touches the glass thurout the sweep, it almost seems as thought there would be a cam in the motor glide. I saw some were on this website some one els replaced the rubber motor mounts. Can that person give us the appox price of the rubber mounts and does the replacment require taking the talegate apart?

was this repair done by taking apart the inside of the vehical pannal? also what was the appox price of the mounting parts? thks

There is also an updated arm available to help with the blade not contacting the window

Rear wiper blade not making contact

Hi!

I'm having this issue with our Explorer, too. Everything seems to work fine, but the wiper blade doesn't contact the window. Do I have to go to the dealer to get the "arm adapter"?

Thank you!
Susan

Hi!

I'm having this issue with our Explorer, too. Everything seems to work fine, but the wiper blade doesn't contact the window. Do I have to go to the dealer to get the "arm adapter"?

Thank you!
Susan

the rear wiper not contacting the glass during it's entire sweep is common to pretty much every Gen II Explorer/Mountaineer. the problem has to do with how the motor is mounted to the lift-gate. it sits on 3 rubber bushings that soften with age, this allows the tension of the wiper arm spring to push the motor to the left, which in turn causes the blade to lift off the glass during the center of its sweep. to add to this poor design, the sheet metal the motor is mounted on is too thin and easily deflects. you can try shimming the motor and/or replacing the rubber mounting bushings, but you'll have to get new universal bushings from the auto parts store (and get longer bolts) as they are apparently not available through Ford. i've fiddled with the rear wiper on all 4 of my Gen II's with only limited success. my advice is to ignore it, unless you have nothing better to do and like fiddling with stuff. some here cut the stops on the wiper arm itself to allow it to travel closer to the glass. another partial fix in my experience.

if you look at where the wiper motor exists the lift-gate, through a rubber boot, you'll notice how it is not in the center of the hole in the door (as it should be). that's the problem.

Back