2000 Ranger Sport 4x4 no reverse/ clunk 4hi to 4lo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Ranger Sport 4x4 no reverse/ clunk 4hi to 4lo

mmhomann

Reaction score
City, State
wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ranger sport 4x4
Hello

I have a 2000 ranger 4x4, 4.0 (Not sohc), 5r55e trans, 97,000 miles mainly highway, very few in 4wd

Recently the truck would clunk when going into reverse, but everything worked ok. Today reverse stoped working, no warning or hesitation, just stopped. Manual first works fine as well as all other gears. I bought the truck with 95,000 on it and noticed a clunk when driving, usualy if the load on the truck changed or if you accelerated, and it got worse in 4lo reverse, such as backing a trailer etc. Now i am noticing a grinding noise when shifting from 4hi to 4lo or back when in neutral (elec transfercase). Any ideas would be appreciated

Matt

Welcome!

Please use the search function. On an Explorer, these symptoms would point towards imminent failure of the t-case, but not on a Ranger... The grinding when changing from high to low or back indicates that the shift motor is not properly positioning the low range gear set, or doing so not at the proper time. Are you stopped, in neutral, with your foot on the brakes when you make the shift? Does it do it every time? Are you waiting for the shift to complete before dropping it into gear?

Back