2000 SOHC Explorers who've replaced alternators.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 SOHC Explorers who've replaced alternators..

mizestang

Reaction score
City, State
Forest Lake, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport SOHC
Why in the hell did Ford make these so rare????:mad:

They actually made 2 different alts for the same truck! I called 5 salvage yards around MN and not one of them has this part or if they do it doesn't match up.

Its a part time vehicle, so I really didn't want to go new.

Venting over.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need a 4G alternator for the 302 Explorer, which is the same thing on the SOHC 4.0 Explorers of 96-01, plus to 03 Sport and Sport Trac.

Look at the many pictures online for new units, notice how to identify yours. The terminals are located a little differently than the 4.0 OHV version, plus the mounting holes are a different distance apart. Don't try the other, OHV version, only two bolts will line up, and it will not charge properly.

I am a little less than two hours north of you and you could try a few places here. i know when i bought a new alt online well a remanned one, i got the wrong one the first time..

Chesney auto salvage is pretty good up here.

I know, I used 1996 because that's when the 302 began, and didn't feel the need to back up and edit it etc. 1996 was the first year of the unit, and it's been on the SOHC for a long time since then. They should be readily available, lots of the SOHC are in jyd's.

I just replaced mine last week. Mine had a 4G alternator

I just replaced mine last week. Mine had a 4G alternator

I'm sorry about that mislabeling, I had upgraded my 91 Lincoln to a 3G unit, which is a mid 90's Taurus/Continental 3.8 model etc.

These 4G alternators make a bunch of juice, compared to the older typical models. They can make 140 amps in stock form, and the aftermarket versions typically make near 100 amps right above idle.

Back