• Register Today It's free!

2000 SOHC VIN code E Timing Chain

Hank McGee

Reaction score
City, State
Wallburg, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
I went to Raleigh, NC last week and picked up a perfect 2000 Eddie Bauer with timing chain noise for an easy $1,000. I have replaced these in customer vehicals before, but I really do not want to pull the engine to replace the rear just yet as I do not think it is the one making the noise. I have already pulled the left (drivers) side valve cover off and the timing cover. There was no doubt that the front timing chain cassette was bad and I have already installed that new cassette, but while I have the timing cover off, I would like to go ahead and replace the chain, guide, and tensioner behind the cover, but for the life of me I can not find just these parts. It seem like I would have to buy the whole timing set in order to replace just these parts. If anyone could steer me in the right direction, I figured it would be a group of guys off of an Explorer Forum.

Help me if you can, and thanks a ton.

Sorry if you have already read all of that. I just did a search and found the Ford part numbers. The only thing I did not find was the timing chain that runs from the crankshaft to the jackshaft (I think that is what it is called).

Thanks Again for the knowledge on this site.

F77z6268ab

Chain-engine jackshaft F77Z6268AB

SOHC V6 Timing Chain Related PNs

The timing chains could easily last as long as 500K miles. Wear patterns rapidly develop between the chains and the sprockets. Therefore, it is normal practice to replace the sprockets when replacing the chains and vice versa.

I found it easier to buy the whole set - it was cheaper than buying pieces.

Back