2000 XLT AWD - Swapping Tcase, Difficult? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 XLT AWD - Swapping Tcase, Difficult?

Slicer89

Reaction score
City, State
Montucky.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT V8 AWD
My '00 XLTs Tcase has finally bit the dust and I am looking to replace it. I would rebuild, but the case cracked... So it's unusable.

My question is... How hard is it to swap out the Tcase? Do I need to remove the whole transmission or can I just drop the Tcase off the tranny?

I'm looking into used ones off eBay, are there anythings I should avoid, or look for in a used one? Should it be pulled apart and inspected before installed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its easy. remove the driveshafts (4 bolts each), unplug the harness, and the transfer case has 6 or 8 bolts holding it to the transmission.

Its easy. remove the driveshafts (4 bolts each), unplug the harness, and the transfer case has 6 or 8 bolts holding it to the transmission.

Harness? I don't think there is one on the AWD model. And are ALL the bolts accessible?

you might end up pulling the console, carpet, and front seats. there is a plate in the floor that unblots so you can get to the top bolts. or, you can try taking the trans cross member off, and hope you can tilt the trans down just enough to get the top bolts out of the transfercase

you might end up pulling the console, carpet, and front seats. there is a plate in the floor that unblots so you can get to the top bolts. or, you can try taking the trans cross member off, and hope you can tilt the trans down just enough to get the top bolts out of the transfercase

X2 I also have an AWD and did this when I did my Tcase swap to a manual. Have you looked in the BW4406 swap? Also i have a perfectly working AWD case that needs a home ;)

X2 I also have an AWD and did this when I did my Tcase swap to a manual. Have you looked in the BW4406 swap? Also i have a perfectly working AWD case that needs a home ;)

Can you PM me please?

And I have, But would rather keep it OEM for my girlfriend who drives it mostly in the winter.

My tcase ID number is F87A-7A195-EB

I called around to a few places, An d they said that I need that number to get the RIGHT Tcase, and that number matters ALOT... Otherwise I will get the wrong Tcase.

Does anyone know how interchangeable the T-cases are? Every place I called keeps asking for my Tcase ID number and said they don't have any that much or will work.

Dont forget to remove the VSS. I didnt and broke it in two pieces due to torquing it on the gas tank shield.

Dont forget to remove the VSS. I didnt and broke it in two pieces due to torquing it on the gas tank shield.

The VSS on the model I have is on the rear-axle, it also acts as an ABS sensor I am told.

The VSS on the model I have is on the rear-axle, it also acts as an ABS sensor I am told.
There is one there too as well as the tailshaft of the T-Case. ...maybe I'm wrong, somebody correct me if I am.

There is one there too as well as the tailshaft of the T-Case. ...maybe I'm wrong, somebody correct me if I am.

I've been up and down all around that Tcase and I do not see any connections on it to anything

there is only one on the AWD its on top of the rear diff.

Bump

Can you PM me please?

And I have, But would rather keep it OEM for my girlfriend who drives it mostly in the winter.

My tcase ID number is F87A-7A195-EB

I called around to a few places, An d they said that I need that number to get the RIGHT Tcase, and that number matters ALOT... Otherwise I will get the wrong Tcase.

Sorry man just checked my messages. Year 2000 tcase and I can look up the numbers when I'm home if you still need.

There are a few AWD xfer cases around this forum. I have one from my 2000 Limited. I'm sure shipping to you would be crazy though.

I'll chime in on speed sensors and confirm there isn't one on the 2000. There are no electrical connections on it at all. And, the case is easy to get out. If you could get those too bolts without pulling the seats, center console, and carpet back for that access panel you would be laughing.

Thanks for all the input.

I've seen alot of people talking about making sure the Front D-shaft is "marked" on the Tcase so when re-installed, It will be balanced properly.

How do you do this if you are changing the Tcase?

You can't. All you can do is make sure the other side of the drive shafts go on exactly the same way by marking them.

The reason for making both sides if your just doing maintenance is to reduce chances of vibration when everything goes back together. Being that you are changing the xfer case. You can't.

Just change the case. I'm pretty sure your driveshafts are externally balanced, so you should be okay.

Back