2001 Explorer 5.0 Harmonic Balancer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer 5.0 Harmonic Balancer

AH64SP

Reaction score
City, State
Harvest
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 XLT
Hello All, I am new to this forum but I assume you guys would be the best people to answer a question for me. I just bought a 2001 Explorer 5.0 engine. I am planning on putting it into my 1966 Mustang with the EFI system. I will be using a 89-93 Fox body distributor and ignition system instead of the factory distributorless system. I'm looking for an underpulley system and I need to replace the balancer. I do not need the one with the timing teeth. I thought that engine had a 50 oz Harmonic Balancer but I saw in a JEGS catalog that they say it's a 28 oz balancer. Can someone tell me which one would be correct?

The 96-01 Explorer 302 operating system with PCM and distributorless ignition is far superior to the previous EECIV stuff.

That being pointed out people keep pulling those great parts off to use the old Mustang stuff.

The entire front dress of the 86-93 Mustang, or 94/95 if you select that PCM etc, must be used on the engine. The Explorer 302 has GT40 heads and GT40 intake, and the balancer has the same 50oz imbalance as all roller 302's. Any 86-95 balancer bolts on to work with those model pulleys etc.

Save the better Explorer PCM and front dress parts, DIS and wiring. That stuff is going to be valuable when people realize how much better they are. Good luck,

Thanks for the help. All I have is the block, heads and intake.

Back