2001 Explorer Limited V8 - Tow Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Limited V8 - Tow Question

So I am forced to used the Family chariot to tow my BMW M3 Race Car for 1 season and so I ordered up the Prodigy which every BMW club racer says in the best. Got a nice Aluminum trailer and ready to roll.

Question is where do I find the "plug" to use the "plug and play" Ford Adapter. To my knowledge my truck came with the factory Tow Package and has allt he plugs and items at the rear end but where is this plug? Based on the short length of wire on the plug and play harness from the Prodigy I am guessing under the center console.

Anyone know what exactly I am looking for?

I build BMW race cars for a living but I like to know what I am getting myself into before I start ;)

3035-fordwireharn.jpg

I have that to go along with the controller.

Here is the listing for it:

RVWholesalers.com , Brake Controllers , Wiring Harnesses , Ford Brake Control Wiring Harness for Prodigy Brake Control - 3035

The older Explorers aren't prewired for a brake controller. You'll have to wire it up yourself.

So much for the 1994 and newer "plug and play" :)

Where are the easiest spots to access these connections? Can it all be underdash?

*edit*

Fixed my poor grammar.

Thanks.

So to clarify I need to run a wire from the controller all the way to the rear and to the trailer connector at the "blue wire"(color may be different). What is this blue wire doing? I only have a 4 pin connector(hopefully not a problem).

Back